Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternate points of view  (Read 15743 times)
Khantael
Ritlua

« on: April 05, 2010, 10:40:14 am »

One of my favourite things about Burndive is getting to see Jos through the eyes of somebody else. You don't have him internalising or self-justifying and Jos is quiet, so the picture Ryan gets is of a totally different type of person to who Jos is (prejudice not helping).

In Burndive, there were a few points where I was dying for alternate points of view, on both Ryan at times and on events.

Odd one for me is that during the dinner scene - where Ryan first meets Jos etc. - I was dying for a Sid point of view for some reason. The conversation leaves him behind a little, so I really wanted to know what was going on his head.

Anybody else have any more moments like this? Smiley
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:49:02 pm »

Hmm... some. When Jos was doing his bit on the Khan in the second go round, I was really wondering how the jets were taking it. One of their pov might of been interesting. Not nearly as interesting as Jos's but interesting. I'll have to think about it otherwise, though.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Shaz
Jii-klala
Ritlua

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 04:08:20 pm »

I'd love to hear Jos's POV for a lot of Ryan's stunts, including 'adopting' Yuri.

Baby Blog: http://thetinyoverlord.blogspot.com/

Science Blog: http://rdascience.blogspot.com/

I am made of the stuff of the stars, and the oceans flow through my veins
Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:38:02 pm »

It was so hard, but so intriguing, to read that dinner scene where Ryan meets Jos.  Having just finished Warchild and getting to know Jos, connecting with him, and understanding his whole persona, encountering him, rather than living as him was just...odd!  I love the scene, without a doubt, but seeing it from Jos' eyes would be entertaining.  I'm sure opinions would be running through his mind about this bratty son of the captain, in more than one language too Wink

Also (this is a bit obscure), but we read Burndive and get introduced to Yuri, but we don't get to know him.  Then we read Cagebird and intimately know Yuri from age 5 to twenties.  But going back to Burndive (because we're just that obsessed =P) and reading that part over, NOW knowing all about Yuri, is really cool.  A similar scene is when he shoots his girl in the dance club instead of Ryan.

Yes, we are part of this universe.  We are in this universe.  But perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the universe is in us.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 02:21:14 pm »

All of these are great ideas for the Omake, I'll have you know. Especially the Sid at the dinner table scene...

I love what you said too, Otter, about Yuri. That's why I call my novels a Mosaic Series. Because I wanted it to all work that way. Smiley

Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:19:31 pm »

What an excellent name, "mosaic series!"  I love stories that fit together that way, and it makes the characters timeless rather than limited to the pages of just one book.  Not to mention it sparks conversations such as this one Tongue

Yes, we are part of this universe.  We are in this universe.  But perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the universe is in us.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Melangell
Ritlua

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 08:08:14 am »

I said this once before, and it isn't really an alternate point of view of a scene that was written, but rather an unwritten event that would be taking place at the same time as one that IS actually written... One of the scenes I hands down wish for the most would be the Jets returning to Mac after being on Turundrlar and their debriefing with Cairo regarding what happened on the Khan, what happened to Jos, finding out Jos was  a sympathizer, etc. It would be interesting to see their reactions, from Erret to Aki to Cairo (I assume Evan wouldn't really get to say anything), and hear their take on what Jos did or didn't tell Falcone.
Shaz
Jii-klala
Ritlua

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 11:12:27 am »

that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  In total agreement!

Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 02:14:34 pm »

Yeah. I really would like the Jet point-of-view on that whole incident.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 02:39:23 pm »

Agreed! I always wondered about that myself.
Khantael
Ritlua

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 05:56:14 am »

Ooh, that's a good one too about the jets. Cheesy
Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 08:03:57 pm »

Well I'm not here to break tradition, so I would LOVE to see that ride back to Macedon.  To witness their reactions and interactions with each other about the situation, and of course when they report to the captain.  Another similar scene, even though it happens so fast, is when the strivs enter the brig and Jos begins shouting to them in Ki'Hade.  Like, every time I read it, I just can't wrap my head around the whole scope of the scene...It's undisputable confirmation to the Jets and Evan that Jos was with the strivs.  I would love to read all their minds and their reactions to Jos here.  For some reason this scene is always very vivid, and I play it out in my head like a movie Smiley

Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 09:20:29 pm »

Yeah, I want the afterward, "Holy shit, did anyone realize that Jos was a symp?" moment.

Shaz
Jii-klala
Ritlua

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 11:35:37 am »

Jos and Cairo, trying to find Ryan when Yuri kidnaps him

Melangell
Ritlua

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 01:50:18 pm »

Jos and Cairo, trying to find Ryan when Yuri kidnaps him