Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21
  Print  
Author Topic: TV-Shows  (Read 88932 times)
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #285 on: October 15, 2012, 02:20:36 pm »

I've started watching Breaking Bad.  I'm nearly done with what's aired of season 5.  The end of season 4 was so intense, and...just...face.

And now Giancarlo Esposito is on a show that makes we want to smash my head against a wall aka Revolution.^^; Well, at least he is one of the few good things about it.

Apropos apocalyptic world: just watched the season 3 premiere of The Walking Dead and it was already better than most of season 2 (and broke viewer records)!
So excited for the prison storyline and I hope they'll do certain things exactly like in the comics. Duhurhurhurhur. Well, the Governour shure looks different, though... which is not a bad thing.
Here for Michonne/Andrea friendship. Maybe now I'll finally get the Andrea I love and I'll gladly sacrifice my beloved Rick/Michonne BFFness for that (at least for a while).
I'm SO glad they finally killed Shane. THIS is a group dynamic I can get behind. I'm glad they let him live longer than in the comics, but in the end it was TOO LONG for my taste. The actor was stellar, though.

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
TabulaRasa
Ka'redan

« Reply #286 on: October 16, 2012, 01:56:53 pm »

And now Giancarlo Esposito is on a show that makes we want to smash my head against a wall aka Revolution.^^; Well, at least he is one of the few good things about it.

Apropos apocalyptic world: just watched the season 3 premiere of The Walking Dead and it was already better than most of season 2 (and broke viewer records)!
So excited for the prison storyline and I hope they'll do certain things exactly like in the comics. Duhurhurhurhur. Well, the Governour shure looks different, though... which is not a bad thing.
Here for Michonne/Andrea friendship. Maybe now I'll finally get the Andrea I love and I'll gladly sacrifice my beloved Rick/Michonne BFFness for that (at least for a while).
I'm SO glad they finally killed Shane. THIS is a group dynamic I can get behind. I'm glad they let him live longer than in the comics, but in the end it was TOO LONG for my taste. The actor was stellar, though.

Giancarlo Esposito was amazing on Breaking Bad.  He was the best kind of villain (though I never really thought of him as a villain per se, even though he was intended as such from Walt's perspective).  I can't wait for the rest of season 5.  I have no idea how the show is going to end.

And Walking Dead was awesome!  So much better than last season, and I really like the Michonne/Andrea dynamic.  This show struggles with its female characters, and it's nice to see them interact without Rick or some other guy around (though that will obviously change with the Governor storyline).  I can't wait until they get more screen time.

Also, does anyone watch Downton Abbey?  I just watched the latest episode and it was so sad.
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #287 on: October 16, 2012, 02:07:28 pm »

Answering my own question about "Grimm", in the meantime I have finished the first season and I guess I am hooked. It needs time because in the first half of the season I was nearly bored senseless by the "wesen crime of the week" and the wooden main protagonist and lived only for the few glimpses we got of the Captain. But it grew much better towards the end of the first season and in the meantime there a few interesting and/or likable characters and even Nick somehow managed to aquire something like a personality!

Extremely funny are the pseudo German names of the wesen. And hearing "alles hat ein Ende nur die Wurst hat zwei" (everything has an end but the sausage has two) as some kind funeral speech surely made that day for me.  Grin
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #288 on: October 17, 2012, 01:42:41 pm »

Also, does anyone watch Downton Abbey?  I just watched the latest episode and it was so sad.

I loved the first season, but I had to stop in season 2, when it got more and more silly (and I will never forgive them for killing the blind soldier so soon), but I recently started to watch again and yes, the new episode was so sad! I mean, I actually stopped to care for the character some time ago, but the reactions of the other characters really got me. Especially Thomas (and Cora), because it was so unexpected. I guess I'll use the question "Did Thomas cry about it?" as my personal litmus test of tragedy on this show.  Grin

TabulaRasa
Ka'redan

« Reply #289 on: October 17, 2012, 04:48:43 pm »

I loved the first season, but I had to stop in season 2, when it got more and more silly (and I will never forgive them for killing the blind soldier so soon), but I recently started to watch again and yes, the new episode was so sad! I mean, I actually stopped to care for the character some time ago, but the reactions of the other characters really got me. Especially Thomas (and Cora), because it was so unexpected. I guess I'll use the question "Did Thomas cry about it?" as my personal litmus test of tragedy on this show.  Grin

Yeah, I stopped partway through season 2 as well, for the same reason.  It was just too soap-opera-y. 
I tend to find character deaths in tv shows sad not because of the death itself but because of the reactions of the other characters, so this death was really sad for me because none of them were expecting it. The "Thomas Crying" Litmus test is definitely a thing in this show.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #290 on: October 17, 2012, 05:33:01 pm »

Yeah, I stopped partway through season 2 as well, for the same reason.  It was just too soap-opera-y.  
I tend to find character deaths in tv shows sad not because of the death itself but because of the reactions of the other characters, so this death was really sad for me because none of them were expecting it. The "Thomas Crying" Litmus test is definitely a thing in this show.

Same. If it's not one of my favourites, it's the reactions of the others that set me off.
I'm actually a cry baby when it comes to television/books. I can't see/read characters heartbroken, because I'll start to cry and Downton Abbey really did a masterful job of making me feel things. It's still isn't written very well, but the actors really made everything work and I wanted to hug Thomas, who is an asshole usually, so bad.
Still not as bad as the blind solder, though. That one really put a dent into my love for this show (apart of the soap-opera-ness).

I think I'll keep watching this time, although I'm most interested in Edith now and if they screw he over AGAIN... >___>
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:35:48 pm by Aziraphale » Logged

TabulaRasa
Ka'redan

« Reply #291 on: October 18, 2012, 02:06:43 pm »

I think I'll keep watching this time, although I'm most interested in Edith now and if they screw he over AGAIN... >___>

I have a hard time staying with the show.  I'll mean to keep watching it, but then I won't finish an episode and I just never start again.  If I hear about anything interesting happening in the next few episodes I'll watch them, but otherwise...
I also have a bad feeling about Thomas' storyline with the footman guy who was introduced in an episode I didn't watch, so I don't know his name.7
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #292 on: October 18, 2012, 03:15:08 pm »

I also have a bad feeling about Thomas' storyline with the footman guy who was introduced in an episode I didn't watch, so I don't know his name.7

I watched and I don't know his name either (I went back after watching episode 5). Tongue I think one of them is Alfred (O'Brians nephew) and I just call the other one "Eragon", since the actor portrayed him in the movie.  Tongue

I have a bad feeling, too. I mean yes, Thomas deserves bad things happen to him, but I don't want to watch a storyline about everything going wrong for him, because he's gay (and especially not about what could happen to a gay man at the time if people found out *shudder*). Urgh, I so wanted him and the blind soldier to start living together as "roommates" and Thomes becoming gentler because of it. Meeeeeh. Damn you, show.

TabulaRasa
Ka'redan

« Reply #293 on: October 18, 2012, 05:15:07 pm »

I have a bad feeling, too. I mean yes, Thomas deserves bad things happen to him, but I don't want to watch a storyline about everything going wrong for him, because he's gay (and especially not about what could happen to a gay man at the time if people found out *shudder*). Urgh, I so wanted him and the blind soldier to start living together as "roommates" and Thomes becoming gentler because of it. Meeeeeh. Damn you, show.

Exactly!  Part of the reason Thomas is so horrible is because people have treated him so badly in the past.  Plus, what would happen if people found out he is gay is far worse than he deserves.

Thomas and the blind soldier would have been adorable.  I wish they'd stretched that storyline out more.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #294 on: October 19, 2012, 06:49:52 am »

Exactly!  Part of the reason Thomas is so horrible is because people have treated him so badly in the past.  Plus, what would happen if people found out he is gay is far worse than he deserves.

Yes. Downton Abbey is feel-good tv. Let other shows (who have better writing...) do those storylines and give us the not-heavy drama Violett can snark at, please. The storyline last episode only worked because of the actors imo. If you look at the writing, it's really not that good of an episode (but better than most of season 2).

Thomas and the blind soldier would have been adorable.  I wish they'd stretched that storyline out more.

After that episode I really lost interest. I don't know... I watched, I cried and I lost some of my love for the series. Sometimes it's the small things...

And I can never forget that the maid who left after season 1 is now playing Ygritte on Game of Thrones (could never 'un-see' Jorah in season 2 either).

TabulaRasa
Ka'redan

« Reply #295 on: October 19, 2012, 04:59:46 pm »

After that episode I really lost interest. I don't know... I watched, I cried and I lost some of my love for the series. Sometimes it's the small things...

I'm probably going to just read recaps of each episode, and if something interesting happens, I'll watch them (that's what I've done so far this season).

And I can never forget that the maid who left after season 1 is now playing Ygritte on Game of Thrones (could never 'un-see' Jorah in season 2 either).

It was weird seeing the actress who plays Ygritte in such different roles.  Who was Jorah?
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #296 on: October 19, 2012, 07:45:01 pm »

I'm probably going to just read recaps of each episode, and if something interesting happens, I'll watch them (that's what I've done so far this season).

I do this with several shows, too.  Grin

It was weird seeing the actress who plays Ygritte in such different roles.  Who was Jorah?

Marys kinda-evil suitor in the second season.

TabulaRasa
Ka'redan

« Reply #297 on: October 19, 2012, 10:19:49 pm »

Marys kinda-evil suitor in the second season.

Oh yeah.  I think I watched that before Game of Thrones.  Or I just didn't notice because I get pretty much all of the male supporting characters confused on GoT.  They all look the same as at least one other character.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #298 on: November 15, 2012, 06:47:48 pm »

Oh yeah.  I think I watched that before Game of Thrones.  Or I just didn't notice because I get pretty much all of the male supporting characters confused on GoT.  They all look the same as at least one other character.

Since Jorah is in Danys storyline, I never had a problem distinguish him from others...  Well, okay usually it's not forgetting faces that is my problem, but names.

Apropos faces, I thought you'd maybe be interested in how the characters from The Walking Dead look in the comics? Smiley

Rick:

Shane:

Lori:

Carl:

Andrea:

Dale:

Glenn:

Carol:

Sophia:

Hershel:

Maggie:

Michonne:

The Governor:

TabulaRasa
Ka'redan

« Reply #299 on: November 15, 2012, 07:51:44 pm »

Since Jorah is in Danys storyline, I never had a problem distinguish him from others...  Well, okay usually it's not forgetting faces that is my problem, but names.

Apropos faces, I thought you'd maybe be interested in how the characters from The Walking Dead look in the comics? Smiley

I never really had a problem distinguishing Jorah from the others (for the same reason) I just never could remember his name.  The other old bearded guys though...

As for the comic vs tv show, it's interesting how some of the characters look completely the same while others are so different.  I think I like how Carol looks better in the tv show, and the tv Governor seems to fit his character better (though that may be because he seems to be more affably evil in the show, whereas in the books, he's much more obvious.  Though having never read the comics, I'm not sure).
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21
  Print  

Jump to: