Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quarter life crisis.. sort of  (Read 3808 times)
MukiMichael
Ritlua

« on: April 04, 2010, 04:16:05 am »

I'm 22 so I guess I'm not quite there yet but anyway...

Anyone else, at this age, feel anxiety about themselves and their future? At this point I feel scared about the future and wondered what you did during this period?

I know nothing in life is certain but I feel like nothing that I've done so far really matters, that nothing really matters, and seem to be stuck in a rut that has lasted for almost a year now.I'll be travelling extensively at the end of next year and thats the only bright spot I have on the horizon. I normally don't party as I'm not that social, but I'm really doing it more for the drinking than anything else. I know plenty of people my age who are going through the same thing and deal with it in their own ways but wondered how all of you dealt or are dealing with it?
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 11:02:50 am »

Sorry, Michael... I'm 21 myself. I actually hit that point at the end of high school, though, when I was 18. It felt like that last thirteen years of my life were wasted in too much effort at an education which got me the grand total of a college admission, and I'd have to thereafter get through four years of college which would also amount to nothing except perhaps hopefully landing me a job and probably one I wouldn't like at that. It was kind of depressing and thus, I spent a few months depressed, from a few months before highschool graduation until just after first semester freshmen year, at which point I decided that I hated what I was doing, didn't want to do it with my life, quit and picked up a few areas of study that I actually enjoyed, no matter whether I would be able to get a job with them or not. At the time I decided to put off stress/unhappiness about that fact (that I'd be spending all this money and effort on a degree- poli-sci- that is more or less useless) until the point that it actually came time for me to graduate and think about it.

In the mean time I worked it out, though. I found something that I'd like to do with my life (federal law enforcement) and decided to graduate a year early to save myself some time and money. I'm graduating in a month and a half now and I intend to enlist in the military because they'll pay off my student loans and it's a way to pass the next three years (because I'm two years too young for the feds, which won't take you until you're 23- but minimum military enlistment is three years). I'm actually pretty excited about that. I'll be out of debt, doing something new and interesting that I've always vaguely been interested, getting paid for it, and military service looks good if you want to go into federal law enforcement. So, yeah, so long as the whole military thing works out and there is no reason why it shouldn't, I can delay my distress at what to do with my life for the next three years.

Until then, I've operated on a short term basis, taking baby steps to my future. For instance, I have to have my Globalization presentation done by Wednesday if I want to graduate... all of my papers done by May 5... I need to get my drivers license before enlisting... Just so I don't have to look forward at quite so large expanses of time.

Where are you traveling to next year, anyway?

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
MukiMichael
Ritlua

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 01:13:30 pm »

I'm traveling through South America, spending three weeks in 9 different countries, then travelling to Australia, Japan, and Spain for one month each. Then I'll make my way through Europe spending three weeks in 8 countries, and then heading to the US. At this point I'll working on getting a work visa, a holiday work visa, for Australia. Hopefully that'll come through.
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:00:55 pm »

Where in South America will you be traveling? My brother spent a few months down there last year after he graduated early from college. He loved the whole traveling experience and hopes to do it again sometime. I hope you have a great time on your trip, Muki. Sounds awesome.
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 12:39:20 pm »

The title of this thread reminds me of the John Mayer lyric...

/random

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: