Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on the book  (Read 18840 times)
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2010, 01:09:55 pm »

THANK YOU FOR THE REVIEW, KHANTAEL! Smiley

Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 08:52:52 pm »

I read through the book again a week or two ago, and a part (early on) describes how some Aniw were taken in to be trained as 'proper men.'  I did some digging on the internet, as this reminded me of a similar case I came across:

In June 1744, the College of William & Mary invited the Indians of the Six Nations to send six young men to be “properly” educated. They received this reply:

We know that you highly esteem the kind of learning taught in those Colleges, and that the Maintenance of our young Men, while with you, would be very expensive to you. We are convinc’d, therefore, that you mean to do us Good by your Proposal; and we thank you heartily. But you, who are wise, must know that different Nations have different Conceptions of Things; and you will therefore not take it amiss if our Ideas of this kind of Education happen not to be the same with yours. We have had some Experience of it: Several of our young People were formerly brought up at the Colleges of the Northern Provinces; they were instructed in all your Sciences; but when they came back to us, they were bad Runners, ignorant of every means of living in the Woods, unable to bear either Cold or Hunger, knew neither how to build a Cabin, take a Deer, or kill an Enemy, spoke our Language imperfectly, were therefore neither fit for Hunters, Warriors, or Counsellors; they were totally good for nothing. We are, however, not the less oblig’d by your kind Offer, tho’ we decline accepting it; and, to show our grateful Sense of it, if the Gentlemen of Virginia will send us a Dozen of their Sons, we will take great Care of their Education, instruct them in all we know, and make Men of them.

I just love the power of this reply, and the arrogance of the Western culture, thinking their upbringing is superior.  Also it's a carefully crafted "fuck you" to the white man Tongue  Just thought it would be a cool thing to share haha

Yes, we are part of this universe.  We are in this universe.  But perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the universe is in us.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 05:31:57 pm »

Otter, I LOVE THAT SO MUCH. Thank you for sharing that!!! Yeah, that kind of thing totally inspired what Keeley had gone through. The Nation tribes that were 'educated' in Nev Anyan.

magda
Ritlua

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 09:30:32 am »

Finished the book a month ago and I liked it. Hesitate to write a review because I will be very biased due to my personal experience. My own fat her had a military background and in some ways I do relate with Jarrett; Considering the fact that myself I am no longer in speaking term with my own father I do understand Jarrett. I am looking forward for a sequel if that will be the case . If not any book you will produce next will be fine with me because I like the way are written.
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 10:51:41 pm »

Finished the book a month ago and I liked it. Hesitate to write a review because I will be very biased due to my personal experience. My own fat her had a military background and in some ways I do relate with Jarrett; Considering the fact that myself I am no longer in speaking term with my own father I do understand Jarrett. I am looking forward for a sequel if that will be the case . If not any book you will produce next will be fine with me because I like the way are written.

Thank you so much Magda! This is super late but I appreciate that. Yeah, none of the relationships in that book are easy or comfortable, and I'm glad it resonated with you. (Not glad that your relationship with your father is rough...hopefully you know what I mean).

magda
Ritlua

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 10:32:46 am »

Just seen this exposition in Manchester Museum about "Warriors of the plains"
The image above reminded me of Keeley. At least this is how I  see him.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 05:18:12 am by magda » Logged
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2013, 11:45:06 pm »

Just seen this exposition in Manchester Museum about "Warriors of the plane"
The image above reminded me of Keeley. At least this is how I  see him.

THAT IS AWESOME. I love it! Thank you for sharing that!!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: