Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies and such  (Read 17587 times)
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 10:16:50 pm »

I concur, grisel. That was a good trailer and the movie looks worthy of a pilgrimage to the cinema. Smiley

Admittedly I haven't read the Hunger Games books yet (I'm almost always late to jump on the bandwagon when books/movies become really popular), but the trailers do look amazing and I would be willing to see it before reading the books.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 06:30:27 am »

Admittedly I haven't read the Hunger Games books yet (I'm almost always late to jump on the bandwagon when books/movies become really popular), but the trailers do look amazing and I would be willing to see it before reading the books.

I've read the books and while I didn't like the end (for reasons I won't tell, because of spoilers  Wink ) I would love to watch the movies. Especially the first one, because I think it's the best out of the three. Why is going to the cinema so expensive these days?  Cry

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 12:04:33 pm »

I concur, grisel. That was a good trailer and the movie looks worthy of a pilgrimage to the cinema. Smiley

I had to convince myself through the trailers that I really want to see this in the cinema. Because at first I was on board only because of my two current favorite Brits, fangirl that I am.  Grin But it does really look nice. It's a pity that we'll get to see it so much later, in August, I think.  Undecided
TabulaRasa
Ka'redan

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 05:44:19 pm »

I only read the first two books, and thought they were okay but not amazing.  The trailers for the movie are amazing though, and I think I might like the movie better than the books.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 08:43:52 pm »

I only read the first two books, and thought they were okay but not amazing.  The trailers for the movie are amazing though, and I think I might like the movie better than the books.

I will certainly LOVE to see the other characters viewpoints/emotions ect. Especially in the third book, having only Katniss' POV (in the first person no less) was pretty frustrating.

Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 03:31:55 pm »

CHRONICLE was amazing. Goooo see it. Even if the handycam thing didn't work for all of it, it was still fantastic.

TabulaRasa
Ka'redan

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 07:51:42 pm »

CHRONICLE was amazing. Goooo see it. Even if the handycam thing didn't work for all of it, it was still fantastic.

I've been wanting to see that!  Unfortunately I'm stuck at college in a small town with no car, so i couldn't get to a theater that had it.
Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2012, 08:29:15 pm »

Agreed.  I took my girlfriend (who read the books) to see it, and we both thoroughly enjoyed the movie.  She wouldn't settle until I started reading the first book, so to avoid being ignorant about the story and to add boyfriend points, I gave it a shot.  I really couldn't read more than 50 pages before I simply got bored.  There just wasn't enough depth.  In a movie its hard to portray the non-physical aspects of a story: emotions, themes, overtones, etc. so I expected that, but not from the book.  In so many places, I felt vast amounts of context and emotion were missing, especially for such a dystopia in which the story takes place.  Great book for younger teens, but it didn't live up to the hype in my opinion

Yes, we are part of this universe.  We are in this universe.  But perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the universe is in us.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 06:47:09 am »

In the end, I didn't watch the Hunger Games movie... I know I said I'd love to watch the movies despite my disappointment with how the books ended, but I thought about it again and... yeah, I'll wait for the DVDs. I enjoyed it, while I read it (except the end, obviously), but it's nowhere near my "Favourite Books" list. I'm glad you liked the movie, Otter. Maybe I can hope the end won't irritate me there, because we get to see how the other characters react and not only

[SPOILER]

Katniss being all cataconic, while the whole revolution-thing is going on. Urgh, it was so frustrating... and it's not even my only problem.

[/SPOILER]

I was positively surprised by The Avengers ! I expected to enjoy it, but I didn't expect to enjoy it that much. I was especially happy about how they treated Black Widow. She was part of the team! Yay! She was allowed to fight and be badass and wasn't the damsel in distress! Yay! It says something about superhero/action movies, when you're surprised about something like this. -.- I am, however totally not surprised that she's left out of most of the merchandise. LE SIGH. (Little) Girls watch superhero movies, too you know?

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 04:08:34 pm »

I've seen "Prometheus"! It has started just today here in Austria and I had not planned to go on the very first day, but my best friend, who had been listening to me talking about this movie with the patience of a saint, suggested it spontaneously. Good girl!  Kiss

I was a little bit afraid, because I had read so many negative reviews but I am happy to say that I really liked it and now I am very much looking forward to the DVD. Although the cast in general did a good job, Michael Fassbender by far was the best. The man still does not do anything for me visually (especially in the same movie as gorgeous Idris Elba!), but he is quite a good actor, oh yeah. And the Lawrence thing was a nice touch, too, as "Lawrence of Arabia" is one of my favorite movies.
Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2012, 06:58:08 pm »

I really enjoyed Prometheus too!  Without giving too much away, to benefit those who haven't seen it, I began noticing all the...features...shared in other sci-fi movies, and that made me kind of upset, but once my suspicions were confirmed at the very last scene, I thought it was great.  Also, I believe Michael Fassbender did a great job too.  I appreciated the attention to detail on his character, seen with his fingerprint showing "W" on it for Weyland Company.  (thats not spoiling anything, right?  Since when is a finger a crucial part of a movie haha)

I would say my only complaint is the very beginning - the biology major in me felt like I was the only one who knows how DNA works, since there clearly was not too much consultation on it for the opening sequence.  Regardless, that's just me picking out the biological details.  I won't let it ruin anyone elses experience Wink

Has anyone seen Total Recall yet?  I absolutely loved the Ahnuld version (what's not to love about exploding faces?), and even though this 'remake' really isn't one, I'm still curious as to if it is any good   

Yes, we are part of this universe.  We are in this universe.  But perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the universe is in us.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2012, 10:53:29 am »

I really enjoyed Prometheus too! 

I am quite relieved that there are other people who like that film, too. Besides matters of taste, I really do not understand what a problem so many people and critics have with "Prometheus". Not that they did not like it, that's understandable, but usually it is not criticized, it is slaughtered as if it was the worst movie ever and I so do not get that.

Now I am going to give "Alien" another chance because the first time I saw it, I am afraid that I was quite bored.  Embarrassed
Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2012, 12:04:20 pm »

exactly.  No movie is perfect; every single one has it's faults and errors, but critics seem to operate in a world of black and white.  I feel that if a movie does not live up to its hype, it's a failure.  Prometheus was not the best movie I have ever seen, but that doesn't mean it still wasn't decent.  I don't understand why critics have a hard time saying "you know, it wasn't the greatest, but still a well put together flick"

In any case, I'm done ranting.  I think we share the same viewpoint haha. And definitely give it another chance!  Any sci-fi movie list has Alien on it, and truly is one of the more influential films of the genre.  I also love when prequels are made after the movies they lead in to, especially if it is a large time gap.  Chronologically, the technology goes from space age holographics and touch interfaces to...DOS operating systems with green text on black screens Tongue hmmm... lol

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2012, 09:52:28 am »

In any case, I'm done ranting.  I think we share the same viewpoint haha. And definitely give it another chance!  Any sci-fi movie list has Alien on it, and truly is one of the more influential films of the genre.

I have already bought "Alien" (all 4 movies in fact, there was this nice box set ...), so it is just a question of when. I'm actually looking forward to it! Who would have thought?

I also love when prequels are made after the movies they lead in to, especially if it is a large time gap.  Chronologically, the technology goes from space age holographics and touch interfaces to...DOS operating systems with green text on black screens Tongue hmmm... lol

Maybe it was an old-fashioned ship in the original movie?  Grin
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2012, 08:55:01 am »

50 % of my gap in Alien-education have been closed now.  Grin

OK, now I can see what people see in "Alien". It is a good movie, not exactly my cup of tea, though, but I knew that before. Those *running away from unfriendly creatures, nearly everyone getting killed one by one and then it's "let's kill it back!"*-stories tend to bore me, unbelievable as that may sound, but in "Alien" it was done differently und exciting enough to keep me interested. This movie I might want to watch again, which always is a good sign.

As for "Alien II - Aliens" ... Ah, no!  Cheesy This one really horribly bored me. It's never a good sign when I grab a magazine while watching!

So, let's see what no.s III & IV have to offer!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:59:38 am by grisel » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: