Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies and such  (Read 17598 times)
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« on: April 01, 2010, 05:00:28 pm »

Well, we've already established a book section, so I figured it's time to make a section devoted to movies.

Just watched The Fountain. Loved it, especially the soundtrack. Oh lord, the soundtrack is fantastic. It was written by Clint Mansell, whom I believe also wrote the music for Requiem for a Dream. I think the story was beautiful, fascinating, and definitely food for thought. Anyone else seen it?
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:24:27 pm »

I have not seen it, although I loved the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack. The movies I've seen most recently were in Spanish and both were only mildly good and slightly disturbing, one at the Cleveland International Film Festival and one in my Spanish class.

Well, I did watch the Last Samurai with my roommate last night, as she'd never seen it before, too. She liked it. It's a good movie. The cavalry charge into the Gatling guns at the end is just painful.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:16:52 pm »

The Fountain was such a trippy movie... the composer was the same because it was the same director as Requiem. Really great music!

Janeway
Captain
Ritlua

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:19:20 pm »

Last movie I saw in the theatre was Alice in Wonderland in 3D. It was a visually stunning film!  Wasn't as impressed with Johnny Depp as I usually am. Felt his Mad Hatter was too much like his Willy Wonka.

Also saw The Hurt Locker on DVD. While I liked the movie and thought the main star did a stand-out acting job worthy of Best Actor Nomination, I'm still not sure the movie was a "Best Picture"
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 10:23:19 pm »

I just saw Repo Men, with Jude Law. Loved it. Hella bloody but great script and acting.

Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 06:44:32 am »

I really want to see Repo Men. I'm really fond of both Jude Law and Liev Schreiber as actors and the concept seems kind of awesome. I'll have to scrounge up some money for that...

I saw Alice in Wonderland in 3-D. It was very visual impressing and the story was interesting, but I didn't think Johnny Depp or Helena Bonham-Carter were at their best. I wasn't impressed with Anne Hathaway, either, but I'm never impressed with her, so that doesn't particularly matter. The movie was good enough, except that the 3-D gave me a headache after an hour.

I haven't seen all of the Hurt Locker. I saw scenes of it while my dad was watching it, but I was packing for school at the time, so only saw bits and pieces. What I saw struck me as very much like Jar Head only not so good, but I can't really judge without seeing more than a few five minute snatches.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 01:12:41 pm »

Also saw The Hurt Locker on DVD. While I liked the movie and thought the main star did a stand-out acting job worthy of Best Actor Nomination, I'm still not sure the movie was a "Best Picture"

I like the movie very much because I felt that it was such a, hm, "silent" movie for one about wartime. I cannot really put it into words. Apart from the one fighting scene there is not any action in the usual sense and it lacks all the parts, war movies usually have.
Ah, words, where are they, when I need them???
The cover of my DVD compares it with "Black Hawk Down" which IMO is a very silly comparison because those two movies could not be more different. Watching BHD you are on adrenalin most of the time, but HL is much different but I was not bored one second.
I have no idea if it is a "best picture", but it is a very good one, nonetheless. As it was the very first time the movie I was keeping my fingers crossed for that won, I was very happy. But especially about the award for Katherine Bigelow.

As the Academy Award made some people watch it, who normally never would watch a movie about war, I finally have a great example when I try to explain what kind of movies I like, movies about war and military, but only the good ones, not about fighting and action in the first place, but about the people fighting and what it does to them. Nowadays I can say, movies like "The hurt locker".
mocknot
Ritlua

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 10:45:40 pm »

Hmm, I was kind of on the fence about if I wanted to see Repo Men, but then, I'd somehow missed that Jude Law was in it. The last movie that I saw in theaters was Sherlock Holmes, actually. Lovely fun, though I think I may be the only person who wants to re-watch it so that I can pay more attention to the pretty scenery (literally the scenery, not the actors, not that they're displeasing, but I've got a Thing for Victorian London).

One movie that I like to recommend whenever possible is The Fall (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/). It's so, so pretty, the acting is fantastic, and almost no one's heard of it :-P.
mikebrennan
Ritlua

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 01:52:03 pm »

Yes, the Fountain soundtrack is stunning (I freelance for Soundtrack.net and you can read my review here http://www.soundtrack.net/albums/database/?id=4278&page=review)

My 3 favorite movies are: Batman Begins, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and Kingdom of Heaven - The Director's Cut (a totally different movie from the one released in theaters.

Mike
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 03:23:17 pm »

I love the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven. It is a totally different movie than the theater version. They deleted entire subplots (and, come to think of it, a rather significant portion of the main plot) to make the theater version. Like Batman Begins, too. I've never seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, though...

My favorite movies are Black Hawk Down, The Hours, the two Kill Bill movies, Starship Troopers, and Event Horizon. Maybe LA Confidential makes that list, too, but a bit behind the others. 

mikebrennan
Ritlua

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 05:40:37 pm »

Touche on the Black Hawk Down. I like pretty much everything Ridley Scott has done! I tend to collect dvds by director. His is the largest, but I also really like Francis Lawrence (Constantine, I Am Legend - he has a lot of broken glass imagery) and David Slade (Hard Candy, 30 Days of Night). Slade is also doing the next Twilight film (which I think is beneath him). But I do think it's funny that his first film was a horro movie that took place entirely during the day, his second was entirely at night, and his third is entitled Eclipse....
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 09:37:37 am »

Favorite movies? Those come to mind first:

-In the name of the father
Finally bought and rewatched it a few weeks before. Tends to break my heart over and over again. Daniel Day-Lewis and Pete Postlethwaite are so brilliant.

-Interview with a vampire
Just beautiful. Beautiful people, beautiful pictures, beautiful music.

-Tigerland
One of those movies that changed my mind about an actor radically. Before, I had detested Colin Farrell, afterwards I was a fan of him.

-Lawrence of Arabia
Doesn't have to be explained I think.

-Master and Commander
I think if you love Patrick O'Brian's books, it would be hard not to love this movie.

-Francesco (Italian movie about St. Francis)
There are so few good movies about the middle ages and this one always stood out for me.
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 01:29:39 pm »

I watched Wristcutters: A Love Story and Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner last night. Both were great; the former for being cute and witty and the latter for being epic and fascinating. The reason I even found both of these in the first place is because I've been looking into overtone/throat singing and these movies featured Inuit throat singing.
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 12:52:05 pm »

LOVED IT.

Zodiac_Kitten
Buntla-na
Ritlua

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 10:42:29 pm »

k so i'm not usually a sci fi fan but I watch Pandorum last night.

Best.sci-fi movie.ever. Period

It had THE best mix of horror, and plot that i've seen in that type of movie in ages...and great graphics, and even the tech level wasnt to bad, it wasnt over the top.

(and i was so excited to see tat scanners made me wanna read warchild etc again XD )
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: