Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Good books?  (Read 46976 times)
Shaz
Jii-klala
Ritlua

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 06:15:28 pm »

Hi all Smiley
I've been re-reading Tom Deitz's "Soulsmith Trilogy" from the early '90's. I think the books were underated. You might like them Shaz - North Georgia, "Earth Magic" (my desciption), etc..

Mind surfer! Nice to see you again! How are you?

The books do sound interesting; I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Baby Blog: http://thetinyoverlord.blogspot.com/

Science Blog: http://rdascience.blogspot.com/

I am made of the stuff of the stars, and the oceans flow through my veins
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 10:22:51 pm »

I just read Robert Buettner's Orphanage. The ending's depressing as all hell. It's good, though. If you like Starship Troopers, you'll like it, because it's a rather obvious homage to Starship Troopers. Just try not to get attached to the supporting characters.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
melissamyth
Ritlua

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 01:24:57 pm »

Wo-hoo!!! Pre ordered Gaslight dogs. Now I need to wait for it to ship . . .
mindsurfer
Ritlua

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 08:02:34 pm »

Shocked Amazon says my copy of "Gaslight Dogs" HAS SHIPPED!!!!

Now, what to do when it arrives?

1. Read a chapter each day to make it last.

2. Board up the doors and windows, turn off the phones and be unresponsive to one and all until I've
    devoured the WHOLE THING!

AND THE WINNER IS...

Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 08:16:55 pm »

I would prefer option #2, mindsurfer, but alas, I've got 70 pages worth of papers to do before May 5th, so that might be problematic.  Undecided

Mine claims to have shipped as well, though.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
mindsurfer
Ritlua

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 08:32:31 pm »

HeH... No.2 is always my wish for the few really superlative authors I read. Unfortunately, most times the world just won't let you alone...   Sniff... Cry
Shaz
Jii-klala
Ritlua

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 03:26:15 pm »

My Tiny Overlord rarely approves of me reading, unless she's nursing, so I have to sneak in reading along with all other non-baby related things, while she's sleeping.

And I go back to work soon.   Cry

Oh well, at least the book will last a good long while.

Baby Blog: http://thetinyoverlord.blogspot.com/

Science Blog: http://rdascience.blogspot.com/

I am made of the stuff of the stars, and the oceans flow through my veins
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 05:12:28 pm »

That is very sad, Shaz.  Sad

mikebrennan
Ritlua

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 07:10:02 am »

For those of you who don't want to read Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series because it might ruin the Legend of the Seeker show, you're correct, but you're also making a huge mistake. One of the best fantasy series out there. I've read the entire series except the final trilogy within the past year (and note they're all like 800+ pages). If you can get past some of the preachiness of some parts of the books, they're truly stunning, especially The Wizard's First Rule and Faith of the Fallen.

I was also surprisingly impressed by Stephen King's latest, Under the Dome.

Mike
Melangell
Ritlua

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 08:25:50 am »

I way vote for #1- make it last just as long as possible! Except that what I will actually do is #2. Pretty sure it can't be helped. I anticipate finishing it within one week of starting if I'm super busy, and with in two days if I'm only moderately busy.
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 09:05:03 am »

The Sword of Truth books started out quite good. I really enjoyed the first few. But then somewhere along the way Terry Goodkind discovered Ayn Rand and then it became unfortunate. Don't get me wrong, I love Ayn Rand, but I don't want it anywhere near my fantasy. It did get preachy and then it ended with *spoiler* Richard more or less favoring trying to save his girlfriend over saving the world. He did save the world, but it seemed for a while that if it came between the two, he'd pick his girlfriend, which I didn't like, because she was often rather annoying.  Undecided

This first book, Wizard's First Rule, was quite good though, and I really liked Temple of the Winds. Faith of the Fallen was quite good as well, except that there were parts of it that were taken almost entirely out of Ayn Rand's the Fountainhead, which annoyed me... i.e. the who building thing, and the statute of the girlfriend, not to mention the whole general philosophy element... very annoying. The plot was quite good, though, and really, if you like the Fountainhead, you'll like it, because it more or less was the Fountainhead in fantasy form.

mikebrennan
Ritlua

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 11:01:43 am »

Agreed on the preachiness. In the later books, I skim the parts with Richard, because he repeats himself a lot, but read it for the other characters. Anything involving Zedd or Verna tend to just be awesome. But enough on that subject.
ErretsGirl
Striviirc-na
Ritlua

wicked witch of old europe

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 02:53:38 pm »

I'm actually on the "Blood of the Fold" now. It's not as strong as the previous two but it's still holding.
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 07:54:29 pm »

Finished reading This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer, the third book in her trilogy. It was supposed to come out tomorrow, the same day as The Gaslight Dogs, but since I pre-ordered them through Barnes & Noble months in advanced, they both came in five days early!
Also finished reading The Catcher in the Rye for my AP Lang class. I liked it, and Holden reminded me of a certain other character that I like...Smiley
Right now I'm reading The Gaslight Dogs and The Poisoner's Handbook, which is about the development of forensics in the early 1900s.
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 09:00:25 pm »

Eek... I so want to read This World We Live In. I loved the last two books. I'm kind of short on discretionary income at the moment, though. I bought the Gaslight Dogs with eight of the last twelve dollars in my bank account and had to bum forty off of one of my roommates to buy my cap and gown for graduation. Maybe later.  Sad

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: