Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Good books?  (Read 46888 times)
melissamyth
Ritlua

« on: March 01, 2010, 11:27:37 pm »

April is so close and I can't wait for Gaslight Dogs. Hopefully I will be able to find it instead of ordering . . .

In the meantime one of my other favorite authors is going to tide me over. Roadkill by Rob Thurman comes out today. It's the fifth in a series that started with Nightlife and I can't wait. I haven't had a good book to read for a while now. The series is about Cal and his brother Niko who run a monster hunting business in New York. The series is told mostly from Cal's point of view and he gives the series a sarcastic quirkiness. His brother Niko is a level headed martial artist (who reminds me a lot of another Niko, I always thought it was amazing how they ended up with the same name.) Anyway, he spends most of his time trying to keep Cal out of trouble. Also involved is a sex-crazed Pan, some fallen angels, and a werewolf mafia.

So, anyone else reading anything good right now? Got any suggestions? It only takes me a couple days to get through a good book and after that I'll get antsy again Wink
Shaz
Jii-klala
Ritlua

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 11:36:52 pm »

I really like the Nightlife books, but was very disappointed in another novel by the same author. The characters felt like bad carbon copies of Cal and Niko.

I'm drawing a blank on author names right now, but I'll try to post some. There's a series out about a woman named Mercedes, who is a were-coyote. Really good books. YovieH, remind me of the author's name?

Baby Blog: http://thetinyoverlord.blogspot.com/

Science Blog: http://rdascience.blogspot.com/

I am made of the stuff of the stars, and the oceans flow through my veins
Inktrap
Ritlua

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 11:59:58 am »

Sarah Monette also has a very good book series with heavy emphasis in the characters, the Doctrine of Labyrinths. It's dark fantasy with incredible world building - but the characters are by far the best thing about the book. 

I'm also a fan of Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus trilogy. Witty narrative and a couple of anti-heroes as protagonists in an alternative universe London - it's a fun read!
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 03:35:09 pm »

I'm not currently reading anything in my free time, but I checked out a copy of Sun Zu's The Art of War a while ago, so hopefully I'll finally have time to sit down and read it.
Janeway
Captain
Ritlua

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 04:10:26 pm »

I'm almost afraid to admit it, but I have been sucked in by "The Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Mysteries".  I got absolutely addicted to True Blood on TV, and then tried out the first book it was based on (Dead Until Dark), and that was it, I was hooked.  Am now on the 5th book!  While I can't truthfully say they are classic works of literature, they are well done and very humourous.

And thanks to the True Blood tv series I am now a huge, HUGE Alexander Skarsgard fan. Yum Yum!!  If you like Military stuff, you totally have to watch him in the HBO series Generation Kill!
melissamyth
Ritlua

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 09:59:30 pm »

I will definitely have to search down some of these books . . . right now I'm reading one based on the Assassin's Creed game it was the only new thing that interested me in the bookstore here. I'm from a lil isolated town and it looks like I'll have to order online. Probably have to do that with Bae's book too Sad
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 10:13:50 pm »

I'm re-reading some old Heinlein right now. A tip on Heinlein: his young adult books are fantastic, his adult books suck. If you want to read Heinlein, you want to read Starship Troopers and Farmer in the Sky and The Rolling Stones (where you will find the origin of Star Trek's tribbles), to name a few of his youth books, not Stranger in a Strange Land and the Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, probably the best known of his adult books, both of which blow pretty hard.

Since I'm never reading just one thing at once, though, I'm also reading the novelizations of Earth 2. I would say sadly there are only there of them, but it isn't too sad, because the novels aren't nearly as good as the show. What is sad is that the show only lasted one season. Okay... maybe the volcano that shot out spring (yes, I mean the season) was a bit much, but it wasn't enough to cancel the thing...

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:03:51 am »

I'm re-reading some old Heinlein right now. A tip on Heinlein: his young adult books are fantastic, his adult books suck. If you want to read Heinlein, you want to read Starship Troopers and Farmer in the Sky and The Rolling Stones (where you will find the origin of Star Trek's tribbles), to name a few of his youth books, not Stranger in a Strange Land and the Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, probably the best known of his adult books, both of which blow pretty hard.

Well, I liked both the latter ones. But my favorite Heinlein is "Citizen of the galaxy".
ErretsGirl
Striviirc-na
Ritlua

wicked witch of old europe

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 02:25:18 pm »

of the books I've read in the past year, "Carnival" by Elizabeth Bear was good.
I also finished the latest in the series of the Elantra Chronicles (Cast in Silence) by Michelle Sagara which I really like to follow.
I read way too much yaoi......
of manga series I have to recommend "Totally Captivated" by Hajin Yoo (which is actually a manhwa cause it's Korean).
the drawings are absolutely beautiful and the characters even more delicious.
of novel series I would have to say "S" volumes 1-4 by by Saki Aida. excellent story and character development.

of guilty (and I mean very guilty ..... truly I'm ashamed to admit this) but I've read and finished all the twilight books.
cause I do like shallow, childish, girly fun.

plus I recently started watching Legend of the Seeker (about finishing first season) and since the books are almost always better than the screen version, I'm just starting on the Terry Goodkind "Sword of Truth" series.
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 06:46:02 pm »

of guilty (and I mean very guilty ..... truly I'm ashamed to admit this) but I've read and finished all the twilight books.
cause I do like shallow, childish, girly fun.

No worries; same thing happened to me about two or three years ago. I'm not ashamed to say I enjoyed it when I read it; I would not enjoy it now, as I think it's bad writing and it's been advertised to death, but I got past that the first time and enjoyed its sheer ridiculousness. Wouldn't read it again, but at least I satisfied my curiosity.

plus I recently started watching Legend of the Seeker (about finishing first season) and since the books are almost always better than the screen version, I'm just starting on the Terry Goodkind "Sword of Truth" series.

I love Legend of the Seeker! The second season is even better than the first. The plot isn't terribly original (hero's journey, forbidden love, impending doom, etc) and Richard is a textbook good-guy hero, but I can't stop watching. I decided against reading Goodkind's Sword of Truth novels because I've seen countless book fans rail about LotS. I would like to enjoy it without the association with the books.
eternaleponine
Quartermaster
Ritlua

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 04:27:15 pm »

of the books I've read in the past year, "Carnival" by Elizabeth Bear was good.

Yay Elizabeth Bear!  I haven't read Carnival, but I like the Promethean Age books.  Also, she's a friend.  :-)
mindsurfer
Ritlua

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 03:07:50 pm »

Hi all Smiley
I've been re-reading Tom Deitz's "Soulsmith Trilogy" from the early '90's. I think the books were underated. You might like them Shaz - North Georgia, "Earth Magic" (my desciption), etc..
mindsurfer
Ritlua

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 03:11:19 pm »

Oh... and yes, I've pre-ordered "Gaslight Dogs".....Soon, Soon!
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 06:18:36 pm »

I just finished The Third Claw of God, by Adam-Troy Castro. It's the sequel to Emissaries From the Dead. I enjoyed both.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
ErretsGirl
Striviirc-na
Ritlua

wicked witch of old europe

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 02:04:16 pm »

Oh... and yes, I've pre-ordered "Gaslight Dogs".....Soon, Soon!
Mindsurfer!!! hi, nice to see you again :-)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: