Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: War Stories Anthology  (Read 8693 times)
Otter
Ritlua

« on: November 17, 2013, 11:13:32 am »

Credit where credit is due.  Congratulations on the Kickstarter being fully funded!!! How exciting! For everyone else here, go to http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andrewliptak/war-stories-modern-military-science-fiction to check it out.

Also, most of the authors (all of the authors?) participated in an AMA on Reddit not too long ago, which can be read here http://www.reddit.com/r/sciencefiction/comments/1pjsv4/we_are_jaym_gates_and_andrew_liptak_for_the_war/

This is fantastic!  Anything you can tell us about your story or the anthology in general.  Can't wait for its release!

Yes, we are part of this universe.  We are in this universe.  But perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the universe is in us.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 05:06:17 pm »

Thank you for this, Otter!

Yeah I'm really excited about this one. Their angle for this anthology is less of the jingoistic military rah-rah, and more of a desire to reflect modern and future militaries - not just with the technology but the social and psychological aspect.

My story is about, basically, "the one who's left behind." The loved one that remains on planet while his partner's fighting an interstellar war. It's more in the "literary" vein, in that the style is not typical of the subgenre, and it's pretty much entirely in the POV character's head. I wanted to look at that angle of warfare - how it affects people who are waiting at home. But you do get to see what this future war is like and how it affects its soldiers through the POV character's eyes.

Melangell
Ritlua

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:11:25 pm »

BAE.

The story is BEAUTIFUL. This is hands down my favorite short story of yours (although I haven't read Armored yet).

It is everything you do spectacularly in some incredible distillation of a few pages. Gorgeous, poetic, heartbreaking writing - some of your best ever IMO. Deep, true characters with the kind of POV voice that you are LITERALLY the KIA'REDAN BAE at. Phenomenal, legit scifi landscape. And it leaves me completely moved. Crushed. Finally read it a few weeks ago and has stayed in my thoughts since, re-read again just now. Will be again for sure.

That. Is good writing. I miss your writing <3.

Kicked off a WC-BD-CB reread. Love them so so very much, all over again- again(10th time?). Will never stop hoping to hear more from those characters, even be it 50 years down the road. Hope all is well!!
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 10:38:54 am »

BAE.

The story is BEAUTIFUL. This is hands down my favorite short story of yours (although I haven't read Armored yet).

It is everything you do spectacularly in some incredible distillation of a few pages. Gorgeous, poetic, heartbreaking writing - some of your best ever IMO. Deep, true characters with the kind of POV voice that you are LITERALLY the KIA'REDAN BAE at. Phenomenal, legit scifi landscape. And it leaves me completely moved. Crushed. Finally read it a few weeks ago and has stayed in my thoughts since, re-read again just now. Will be again for sure.

That. Is good writing. I miss your writing <3.

Kicked off a WC-BD-CB reread. Love them so so very much, all over again- again(10th time?). Will never stop hoping to hear more from those characters, even be it 50 years down the road. Hope all is well!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I'm soooo happy at the response "Enemy State" has gotten so far. The fact it moves people is what I wanted. This was a story written pretty purely on inspiration. I kept lobbing ideas at one of the editors and they were workable but they weren't happening. Then I started this one and literally wrote it in 3 or 4 days, then did small edits after that. So it was written in basically a week because once I started it just took off. It just goes to show...sometimes you really have no idea how things will turn out until you shut off the parts of you that tell you to do things THIS or THAT way. I had preconceived ideas of what I wanted to offer this anthology but this voice happened and I let it.

I think it's some of my best writing too, if not my best. I always want that to be the case, to constantly improve and break my own habits and boundaries. I took a chance with this narrative style. Smiley

Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 10:41:02 am »

Here's the link to the story online:

http://www.apex-magazine.com/enemy-state/

You can also order the full anthology at the site.

Melangell
Ritlua

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 10:42:06 am »

That is way cool to hear. I haven't read the rest of the anthology yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm back to checking karinlowachee.com regularly, will be excited for the next thing I can read by you Smiley! And one of these days I really do hope to get myself to Ontario to hear you speak.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: