Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oisa  (Read 9120 times)
oisa
Ritlua

« on: March 15, 2012, 02:59:14 am »

Hi.

I read Warchild back in 2002.  I never forgot that scalp-tightening, skin-pebbling feeling when I finished the book.  I also have Gaslight Dogs and I like it very much.  It's second only to Warchild, third is Burndive and then Cagebird.

I usually don't like English sci-fi unless it's something along the lines of Empire-building with heavy emphasis on heroic military action like David Webster or the more realistic military (and very Gung-ho! America-centric first, foremost and always!) physics-peppered John Ringo.  I liked most works based on Keith Laumer's Bolo too but that's about it.  I used to enjoy Orson Scott Card's Ender novels but...no more.  Karin Lowachee's become one of my dependable authors in this regard.  No matter what she writes I will probably enjoy reading it.

Best of all though, I was tickled to see Karin Lowachee's forum icon.  Tsutomu Nihei is one of my all time favorite punk manga writer/illustrators and I'm a huge fan of post-Hugh Jackman Wolverine.  So when the two came together in the form of Tsutomu Nihei's graphic novel SNIKT! I was pretty ecstatic.  Then to see an icon made from it and used by an author I admire?  Yeah, tickled pink, indeed.  *waves*

Oh, and I like doodling.  My icon is my own drawing.  (I was also a leech lurker for awhile...*coughs*  I'm trying not to go back to that.)
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 10:01:01 am »

Hi!  Grin

Welcome to the dead zombie forum! May you help us reanimate it!

Your icon looks very good! Doodle away!~ *__*

I need to read more sci-fi books... but the ones I see in the book stores always sound so... liveless when I read the first few pages. D:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:02:36 am by Aziraphale » Logged

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:56:38 am »

Hi Oisa!

Welcome to the forum from me, too!
Do you know "Empire of men" by John Ringo and David Weber? I have loved it and was devastated when I read on Ringo's website that it's done for him.
I'm looking forward to your posts!
oisa
Ritlua

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 05:46:49 am »

Aziraphale --  Thanks.  It's so true about most sci-fi.  It's so boring at first though I understand that the setting, the characters and the conflict have to be told...

Is it so dead?  Oh, I did looked around and I am not a fan of any of the tv shows so I don't know what to say in any of them.

grisel -- Thanks.  I have read Empire of Man and enjoyed it very much.  I was disappointed that Ringo wouldn't continue any more in that universe but his Looking Glass series is pretty awesome.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:10:32 am »

Is it so dead?  Oh, I did looked around and I am not a fan of any of the tv shows so I don't know what to say in any of them.

We have a general tv series thread... you can post about your favourite shows there... or you can open a new thread. Cheesy Maybe some of us know them, maybe some of us will start watching because it sounds interesting... you never know!  Grin

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 04:12:47 am »

I was disappointed that Ringo wouldn't continue any more in that universe but his Looking Glass series is pretty awesome.

Thank you for the tip!
oisa
Ritlua

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 05:45:44 am »

Aziraphale - Cheesy That sounds promising, I just...don't watch a lot of television.  I'm an otaku, erk, please don't hold it against me.  I wish I can lie and say I'm not but every single thing I talk about on-line, it seems, is about the various manga, anime and mechs I'm into.  I don't know anything about any of the series mentioned in the other forum. 

grisel - To be honest, I'm not sure how much you'll enjoy it.  I was able to look past all the incredible Mary Sues (In fact, one of the interviews I read online stated that the characters of the Looking Glass series are caricatures.  They are so over-the-top that each book their adventures become even even more jaw-dropping.  The fourth book Claws that Catch, especially, has the characters breaking the fourth wall.  They are seemingly talking to the readers directly.)  Mr. Ringo and Mr. Tyler are pretty good at poking fun at themselves...and "Southerners", anime fans, conventions and military otakus...a sense of humor, a firm disregard of your bullsh** scale, and...well, try not to get too attached to any of the characters.  XD
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 07:41:13 am »

Aziraphale - Cheesy That sounds promising, I just...don't watch a lot of television.  I'm an otaku, erk, please don't hold it against me.  I wish I can lie and say I'm not but every single thing I talk about on-line, it seems, is about the various manga, anime and mechs I'm into.  I don't know anything about any of the series mentioned in the other forum. 

*looking over to my manga-shelf* ... Nope, no judging from me.  Grin

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 10:29:24 am »

[grisel - To be honest, I'm not sure how much you'll enjoy it. 

Then I thank you for the warning! I am devastated in finding readable SF novels, so I'll maybe not discard an old aquaintance too quickly, but I have not read any Ringo in a long time. I think I still have one of those invasion novels unread around here.
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 10:00:19 pm »

I'm a bit late to the welcoming party, but hello there! You seem to be in the process of reviving this poor, neglected forum. Hurrah!

Tsutomu Nihei is one of my all time favorite punk manga writer/illustrators

I tip my hat to you, fellow compatriot! I'm incredibly picky about my manga/anime, and Nihei was the one who first defined my high standards. After I stumbled across BLAME! I couldn't wait to find more of him. I've read most of Biomega (online because at the time that was the only way I could access it; I was quite giddy when I saw a physical copy of the series a few years later at Barnes & Noble). I haven't read SNIKT! yet but the art makes me swoon.

Anyway, hi. Smiley
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 03:26:57 pm »

Hi.

I read Warchild back in 2002.  I never forgot that scalp-tightening, skin-pebbling feeling when I finished the book.  I also have Gaslight Dogs and I like it very much.  It's second only to Warchild, third is Burndive and then Cagebird.

I usually don't like English sci-fi unless it's something along the lines of Empire-building with heavy emphasis on heroic military action like David Webster or the more realistic military (and very Gung-ho! America-centric first, foremost and always!) physics-peppered John Ringo.  I liked most works based on Keith Laumer's Bolo too but that's about it.  I used to enjoy Orson Scott Card's Ender novels but...no more.  Karin Lowachee's become one of my dependable authors in this regard.  No matter what she writes I will probably enjoy reading it.

Best of all though, I was tickled to see Karin Lowachee's forum icon.  Tsutomu Nihei is one of my all time favorite punk manga writer/illustrators and I'm a huge fan of post-Hugh Jackman Wolverine.  So when the two came together in the form of Tsutomu Nihei's graphic novel SNIKT! I was pretty ecstatic.  Then to see an icon made from it and used by an author I admire?  Yeah, tickled pink, indeed.  *waves*

Oh, and I like doodling.  My icon is my own drawing.  (I was also a leech lurker for awhile...*coughs*  I'm trying not to go back to that.)

Hi and welcome Oisa! Are you from Japan?

Yeah I'm a huge fan of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine and I also enjoy some anime/manga, so when I discovered those I was in glee. Cheesy Thank you for reading my books!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: