Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Game of Thrones (A Song if Ice and Fire)  (Read 27173 times)
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2012, 03:42:28 pm »

FIRST LOOK AT THE NEW CASTMEMBERS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpSDSgChsaI

I'm so excited! *___*

Obviously there are still people missing. I'm really very sure that Mance Rayder will be in the next season.  Grin

ETA:

Ha!

Not in Video but also cast.

Tara Fitzgerald as Selyse Baratheon

Tobias Menzies as Edmure Tully

Anton Lesser as Qyburn

Philip McGinley as Anguy

Kristofer Hivju as Tormund Giantsbane
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:44:15 pm by Aziraphale » Logged

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2012, 08:21:50 am »

Tobias Menzies as Edmure Tully

I'm delighted about this because I loved him as Brutus in "Rome"! Now I am even more looking forward to 3rd season. GoT might end as the TV series with the biggest AND greatest cast ever.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2012, 08:57:03 am »

Definitely. Even when the scripts have their faults from time to time, I have yet to find a really bad episode since the cast is so awesome it makes it work. Okay, maybe not Robb/Talisa...

"Jojen" was in Family Of Blood/Human Nature btw.

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2012, 09:59:47 am »

"Jojen" was in Family Of Blood/Human Nature btw.

Right! I have been stumbling across him a lot. So he's finally grown up.
Diana Rigg will be in the 7th season of DW, too, as well as Liam Cunningham.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2012, 05:35:35 am »

Oh right! I forgot that Diana Rigg would be in DW, too. Looking forward to her.

Premiere date for seasin 3: March 31st

*sob* I knew it would be around that time next year, but actually seeing it... it seems so far away.

Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2012, 08:34:55 am »

Aaaaaaaaaand they found their Mance Ryder: Ciarán Hinds.

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2012, 01:28:40 pm »

Aaaaaaaaaand they found their Mance Ryder: Ciarán Hinds.

Great! Pity, that Mance does not (yet?!) have any scenes with Edmure, though.  Grin
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2012, 05:57:46 pm »

'Game of Thrones' Season 3 Characters and Scoop From Creator George R.R. Martin

Here's a bullet list of some of the topics we covered during the panel, and I've thrown in time stamps that approximate where you can find these topics in the podcast:

We began by talking about Mance Rayder's age, which has been the subject of fan speculation. Martin said he sees the character, who will be introduced to TV viewers in Season 3, as a contemporary of Quorin Halfhand and "not a young man." And as a fan of "Rome," in which Ciaran Hinds appeared as Julius Caesar, Martin said he's very happy about the casting of Hinds as the King Beyond the Wall. He also talked about the casting of Diana Rigg as the Queen of Thorns in Season 3.

8 minutes (all times are approximate): Martin said that he's already turned in his script for Episode 7 of Season 3, which is titled "Autumn Storms." There's also discussion of the Season 2 episode "The Battle of the Blackwater," which Martin wrote, and a more general discussion of the "GoT" script-writing process.

13 minutes: Martin discussed why we haven't seen much prophecy in the TV show (as was the case in the House of the Undying scenes in the Season 2 finale). There's a wariness to showing a lot of prophecy in case some characters or story threads have to be trimmed later, Martin said. "It would be sort of stupid to have a whole prophecy of something that never pays off down the road because we have to cut that thread for budgetary reasons." Having said that, he said he thinks the show will, at some point, have to deal with events concerning Rhaegar, Lyanna and Aerys Targaryen, the Mad King. (Trivia for you: Scenes of the Mad King were filmed for Season 1, but never used.).

18 minutes: Martin didn't know all the facts about Robert Baratheon's Rebellion when he began writing the books; generally speaking, he's filling in the details "forwards and backwards" as he goes. And in his mind, Robert's Rebellion is comparable to Vietnam -- different characters have very different ideas about what that war was for, what it meant and what its legacy is. That's one reason he started his books 16 years after the rebellion: It gave him a chance to explore all those different perspectives and aftereffects.

22 minutes: Does he enjoy messing with people? "The general impulse is there," Martin said with a laugh. But it's part of that desire to keep people from thinking they know what's coming next. At around this point, Martin discusses his use of third person in his novels and the different ways that on-screen stories and on-the-page stories convey information.

30 minutes: Martin talked about his fascination with power, and how "our societies are built on these structures of sand."

38 minutes: Peter pitches a tie-in book that HBO should look into -- "Robb Not Joffrey: Parenting the Game of Thrones Way." After the laughter died down, Martin talked about how issues with his own father may have influenced "ASoIaF" and how many disputes throughout history started out as, at least on one level, family squabbles.

42 minutes: "The question of people making choices appeals to me," Martin said, going on to cite the choice that Jaime made regarding Bran in "A Game of Thrones." Martin noted that what Bran saw would put Jaime's own children in mortal danger, and he talked about how "abstract morality" isn't always so easy to follow in reality.

46 minutes: We switch over to audience questions, and the first one is about Martin's frequent use of the number seven. It was just part of Martin's attempt to create a memorable set or grouping, a la Christianity's Trinity. Still, "There are some times… when I wonder, 'Did it have to be seven kingdoms?" Martin admitted.

47 minutes: Martin talks about using magic sparingly in his tales. "A little magic goes a long way," he said, noting that there's not a ton of "on-stage magic" in "The Lord of the Rings." And he said he much prefers alluding to magic that is "strange and unknowable" rather than constructing a "system" of magic, which he called "fake science." "Magic is cooler to my mind when it's dangerous," Martin said.

56 minutes: He talked about the difference between the book versions of Osha and Shae versus the TV versions, and noted that he "initially didn't like" the television version of Shae, though he came to like the TV version of the character later in Season 2.

57 minutes: He talked about how he suggested that the name of the character Robb married in Season 2 be changed to Talisa, given that this was an entirely new character that book readers would not be familiar with (in the novels, Robb's love interest has a different name and history).

102 minutes: He talks about the ages of the characters in the books versus on the TV show, and in particular discusses the casting of Margaery Tyrell.

105 minutes: Just how long are those winters in Westeros? "It's fantasy!" Martin replied. Translation: They're as long as Martin says they are.

And at the end of the podcast, he discussed which characters are easiest to write. "Tyrion," he said immediately, and he mentioned Arya too.

Read more at ONTD: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/71705861.html?page=2&cut_expand=1#cutid1#ixzz25k0pXAOn

Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2012, 10:21:28 pm »

I've got 3 more eps in Season 2 left to watch and I can't stand Ygritte.

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2012, 02:10:15 pm »

I've got 3 more eps in Season 2 left to watch and I can't stand Ygritte.

I don't think she is that bad in the TV series. But then, I am not that happy with Jon either. So anything that makes him seem a little bit more alive is most welcome for me.  Grin

What don't you like about her?
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2012, 01:35:38 pm »

Ygritte was a bit grating to read and I was getting fed up with her by the time Jon escaped. I wanted to like the wildlings in general more than I actually did, but I think that has a lot to do with seeing them exclusively through Jon's perspective. Ygritte had a lot of qualities that I liked, but she was very irritating and condescending the whole time.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2012, 01:39:06 pm »

Ygritte had a lot of qualities that I liked, but she was very irritating and condescending the whole time.

I swear, if I have to read "You know nothing, Jon Snow." one more time out of ANYONE mouth, I'm going to throw something...

TabulaRasa
Ka'redan

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2012, 04:50:42 pm »

I swear, if I have to read "You know nothing, Jon Snow." one more time out of ANYONE mouth, I'm going to throw something...

I found Ygritte much more irritating in the book than the show for the same reason.  The actress in the show does it with an inflection that doesn't irritate me as much, and, so far at least, has used it much less.  In the book it was practically every other thing she said.
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2012, 06:35:47 pm »

In the book it was practically every other thing she said.

Exactly! Ugh, it got to the point where my reaction was YES I GET IT CAN YOU SAY ANYTHING ELSE. And then **spoiler alert** she died and I didn't feel bad at all.

I haven't seen the tv show yet, but I definitely plan to...eventually. Right now I'm stuck on A Feast for Crows. I started to read it and promptly got bored and put it down. I don't know why Martin thought it was a good idea to spend the first few chapters introducing new characters that I couldn't give a crap about. One of my friends is encouraging me to keep reading because it gets better, but I don't know if I'm ready to subject myself to that. Those books eat away all of my time!
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2012, 07:01:56 pm »

Exactly! Ugh, it got to the point where my reaction was YES I GET IT CAN YOU SAY ANYTHING ELSE. And then **spoiler alert** she died and I didn't feel bad at all.

The only thing I remember about her is YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW! ALSO YOU SHOULD SLEEP WITH ME! BTW. YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW AND I WANT YOUR DICK SO BE A MAN EVEN IF YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW. LET'S HAVE SEX!!!! YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW!

I did like *spoiler* how she died, though. I think that scene could translate very well on screen. */end spoiler*

I haven't seen the tv show yet, but I definitely plan to...eventually. Right now I'm stuck on A Feast for Crows. I started to read it and promptly got bored and put it down. I don't know why Martin thought it was a good idea to spend the first few chapters introducing new characters that I couldn't give a crap about. One of my friends is encouraging me to keep reading because it gets better, but I don't know if I'm ready to subject myself to that. Those books eat away all of my time!

A Feast Of Crows was seriously hard to read, because the only storyline I really liked was Sansas. Sams was okay till a certain moment (and oh my God the "fat pink mask" is something I won't forget anytime soon D: ) and Cersei was a bit of a let down.
A Dance With Dragons was better imo, but still dull as dishwater sometimes.
I'm glad that the tv show plans to mush these two books together, since they basically take place at the same time.

Btw. I thought this was a very good interview with GRRM: George R.R. Martin: “Trying to please everyone is a horrible mistake”
Spoilers ahead, obviously.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:24:06 pm by Aziraphale » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: