Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Game of Thrones (A Song if Ice and Fire)  (Read 27174 times)
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 08:00:26 am »

Oh wow, that's quite tall. She looks a little bit too pretty for Brienne, but as GRRM is delighted with the casting, I'm sure she will be a good Brienne. Not so sure about Natalie Dormers Melisande, but she's a good actress. And all the actors with whom I was not too happy at first because they looked "wrong" for me have turned out to be marvellous in their roles, like Jaime or Sansa for example, two of my favorites. So, go for it, girls!
Still no Davos casted. I can't wait to find out who it will be.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 07:45:23 am »

I think I'll find the time to finally watch this in the next two weeks. Yay! Looking forward to it!

In the meantime: Congratulations to the whole show for it's Emmy nomination! And of course to Peter Dinklage for his nom! I never thought that a fantasy series would get a nom. So happy! (Well, if I counted right, they got 11 other noms, but these two are MAJOR ones... fantasy series usually don't get in)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:37:27 am by Aziraphale » Logged

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 11:46:09 am »

In the meantime: Congratulations to the whole show for it's Emmy nomination! And of course to Peter Dinklage for his nom! I never thought that a fantasy series would get a nom. So happy! (Well, if I counted right, they got 11 other noms, but these two are MAJOR ones... fantasy series usually don't get in)

They deserve it so much. It's such a good show. I'm especially happy for Peter Dinklage. The whole cast is great, but he is the best, yes. He was Tyrion from the very first sentence.

Hope you'll like it!
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 11:17:31 am »

Waiting for news about the casting for season 2, "Clash of kings", has been quite exciting, especially my dear Davos. I'm very happy with this Liam Cunningham who looks like a perfect Davos. Of course, even the "wrong" looking did great jobs. But I'm nonetheless happy. Aziraphale might know him as he comes straight from "Camelot" as I have read. There he played someone named Colfur. OK?
I'm also happy about Stephen Dillane as Stannis. Not that I particularly like Stannis, but I was a little bit in love with Dillane's Horatio in Zefirelli's "Hamlet", ages ago.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 03:54:45 pm »

I finally started to watch this.  Grin Took me long enough...
I think I'll watch till episode 4 or 5 today and the rest in the next few days. :3

Okay, I can't say much yet (have just seen the first two episodes) besides that I enjoy it very much and that it's SO MUCH BETTER than Camelot. Seriously. Worlds better. I'm happy. __

I'm liking all the characters so far -except the Incest Queen/brother combo (I'm sorry, I don't know all the names yet >.<), I despise them. Of course I have favourites, but I'll wait some more episodes to actually write that down here. Love the wolves.

Also, the intro is awesome! I love me a good intro! I miss them in newer series. It just sucks you right in.

*will probably edit this post a lot*  Tongue
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:09:45 pm by Aziraphale » Logged

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 05:41:38 pm »

Wow, you're fast! Glad you like it.
As for the incest siblings, aka Cersei and Jaime, I'll only go so far as to say that he very much grew on me. Of course, we see Jaime's true face later, I think it was in the 2nd or 3rd book, when we got his POV. But I did notice him at first not so much for the fact that he loved his sister a bit too much and for "the things I do for love", but for the love between him and Tyrion. That's sth that seems to be a little downplayed in the TV series. But as I am a sucker for brotherly love, too, he was on my radar for that from the beginning.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 06:31:23 pm »

Welcome back Grisel.  Wink

Like I said: I can't really decide whom I like/love/dislike/hate yet.  Grin

That was just my first reaction to throwing a child from a tower without remorse and her general attitude... but I think this is a series where you go from "Oh I hate this character" to "Oh I kinda love him/her (in this scene)" several times in the same episode, so I'm not worried. No case of "OMG get off my screen!" with a character yet. Grin

I can say that I do love Ned and Tyrion, though. I like Jorah very much. There are some others I really like but I'm to lazy to google their names or how they're written right now.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:46:53 am by Aziraphale » Logged

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 10:42:13 am »

Ser Jorah is one of those that really grew on me. As I said above, "mine" are Ned, Jaime, Sansa, Jorah and Davos, whom we'll meet in the second series. Can't wait!
Of course, there is no way around Tyrion, but somehow I just like him, I did not fall for him like the rest of "mine". Jon is a similar case. Of course I like him, who couldn't, or Robb.

The only character I see differently now because of the series is Littlefinger. I never took much notice of him in the books, but Aiden Gillen is so great that I cannot overlook him. He made me almost like Littlefinger.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 08:01:50 am »

I finally finished the last episode after fighting a computer virus. Yay!

Okay, so I really liked it and want more! I'm so glad that there is going to be a second season and hopefully more next year. Looking forward to it and thinking about buying the books (in German for a change).

My favourites are (excuse me, if I spell the names wrong) Ser Jorah, Ned, Tyrion, Robb and Daeneyris (I heard her storyline get's kinda boring in the books?). Sansa is growing on me fast and I think Jaime will be there in season 2 as well (his story is one I'm looking forward to the most). I was sad that Jon Snow was sidelined, but I hope to see more of his friendship with the other guys from the Nightwatch. I understand why the wolves weren't there as much as they should have been but I enjoyed them very much (aaaaw the cubs were so cute)

I hate Joffrey but Cersei is an interesting case. I absolutely hate her in some scenes and dislike her in most of the others but there are moments where I'm sad for her and how her life turned out.

Of course I spoiled myself via TV Tropes for upcoming storylines so I'm excited for Brienne, Stannis and Davos and already dreading some things aka character deaths.

Mostly I'm thrilled because the actors are really good (also lol @ "Filch" and "Tonks" being in there and me going "Wait, I know this actor... ") and I still can't believe that Camelot had a higher budget.

This is cute: http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/08/game-of-thrones-season-1-hilarious.html
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:15:22 pm by Aziraphale » Logged

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 11:33:57 am »

Okay, so I really liked it and want more! I'm so glad that there is going to be a second season and hopefully more next year. Looking forward to it and thinking about buying the books (in German for a change).

Why in German?

My favourites are (excuse me, if I spell the names wrong) Ser Jorah, Ned, Tyrion, Robb and Daeneyris (I heard her storyline get's kinda boring in the books?).

It's a matter of taste, but I was mostly bored to death with her story. Also, I don't like her very much. In the books, TV Dany was OK. But it's much worse with Arya. I can't stand her and this did not change in the TV show.

Sansa is growing on me fast and I think Jaime will be there in season 2 as well (his story is one I'm looking forward to the most).

I can't remember which book it was when Jaime first became a POV character and we learned much more about him. I think it was no. 3, but I'm not sure.

What did you think when they killed Ned? I still hate GRRM for it , but at the same time I love him for it. You just don't do that, kill the hero, you don't. But he did.

I was sad that Jon Snow was sidelined, but I hope to see more of his friendship with the other guys from the Nightwatch. I understand why the wolves weren't there as much as they should have been but I enjoyed them very much (aaaaw the cubs were so cute)

Jon is always important and he has an interesting journey ahead of him.

Of course I spoiled myself via TV Tropes for upcoming storylines so I'm excited for Brienne, Stannis and Davos and already dreading some things aka character deaths.

I think book 2, "Clash of kings" (did I mention that I love the title?) was kind of save, I seem to remember that it was no. 3, "Storm of swords" when I remembered that I hated GRRM ....

Davos takes over some of Ned's characteristics, because he is another of that rare beings in this world, an honorable man. I just hope ...
I love all of my favorite characters, but Davos has a very special place in my heart, because he just came to me. First I was irritated about him. What do I need a middle-aged, crippled smuggler for? So he is one of those I slowly fell in love with, especially because he is one unlikely character to be loved by me. I'm so happy about his casting. The guy looks perfect for Davos.

Mostly I'm thrilled because the actors are really good (also lol @ "Filch" and "Tonks" being in there and me going "Wait, I know this actor... ") and I still can't believe that Camelot had a higher budget.

I'm still not sure if I want to watch it or not. I read that it might not have been that bad, but it had the bad luck of running kind of parallel with "Game of thrones".

What makes me so happy about the actors is that each and everyone became their characters. Beautifully done.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 06:50:51 pm »

Why in German?

Because 80% of the books I purchased in the last year are in English. I read/write in English forums on the internet. I read fanfiction in English. I read articles/blog in English. I'm starting to think in English and I keep forgetting German words. It not only kinda upsets my cause I used to know so many synonyms/words in general and now I'm flailing when I have to think of just one sometimes, it isn't really helping when I try to write something. I read some of my old stuff a few weeks ago and can't shake of the feeling that my 16 year old me was a better writer than I'm now. /end blubbering.
Also I can just buy it in a bookstore and won't have to order it on Amazon. My mother is already side-eyeing me. ^^; Well, okay I guess this are books I actually would be able to find in the bookstores, but hey.
I just want to try to read more in German in general (except when the books are not translated or absolutely must have the English version because I have reason to believe that they screwed the translation up).

It's a matter of taste, but I was mostly bored to death with her story. Also, I don't like her very much. In the books, TV Dany was OK. But it's much worse with Arya. I can't stand her and this did not change in the TV show.

Arya was just there. I didn't care for her. *shrug* I liked her "dance instructor", though.
I think I liked Danys relationships and there people around her in general so I wasn't bored and I thought the actress was great. I hope it stays that way, cause I read that she stays a big part of the story. Just a question: Does she ever met the other characters or does she float around somewhere with minimal connection to the others?

What did you think when they killed Ned? I still hate GRRM for it , but at the same time I love him for it. You just don't do that, kill the hero, you don't. But he did.

I knew the when/where/how of his death already cause I got spoilered in some article about which characters died last tv-saison (or something like that) so I wasn't shocked. I was sad to see the character go, cause he has so much potential, but it somehow fit into the story. I felt like his death was the catalyst for the rest of the story, the things to come. I always got the impression that he was a "decoy protagonist" and that he was there to put the chess pieces into place. A very important character with limited time.

I think book 2, "Clash of kings" (did I mention that I love the title?) was kind of save, I seem to remember that it was no. 3, "Storm of swords" when I remembered that I hated GRRM ....

Well, I'll just cling to the character I love and know I'm save and will cry for the others when the time comes.

I'm still not sure if I want to watch it or not. I read that it might not have been that bad, but it had the bad luck of running kind of parallel with "Game of thrones".

Yeah, well. I would say it was that bad, but it's a YMMV thing. There were things I really liked (like the Lady of the Lake solution) but it got overshadowed by the bad things really fast- even if I did warm up to Guinn at the end. It wasn't necessarily terrible but nothing.happened.at.all. There simply was no real story and I can't even remember most of the things that did happen.
Game of Thrones being so much better hasn't helped I guess but yeah, it sadly really wasn't a good show in my opinion (it could have been salvaged, but they kinda dropped the ball halfway through) but I would love to hear your thoughts on it.  Wink (Oh and I will answer your PM.... as soon as Firefox let's me. It freezes the moment I click the reply-button. I marvel at the fact that I can post in the forum... another forum doesn't even let me do that. I may have to dust my internet explorer for some time. *sigh*)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:43:48 pm by Aziraphale » Logged

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 10:26:20 am »

I just want to try to read more in German in general (except when the books are not translated or absolutely must have the English version because I have reason to believe that they screwed the translation up).

I see. You are right, of course reading in English has an effect on your German. I very seldomly read German now and it shows. But I can't go back.

Just be careful. I heard that there are two versions of the translations around. But I can't say which is which and which might be better.

Does she ever met the other characters or does she float around somewhere with minimal connection to the others?

The latter, for now, after "Feast for crows". But I read that in "Dance with dragons" a few other are leaving Westeros, so that might help.

I always got the impression that he was a "decoy protagonist" and that he was there to put the chess pieces into place. A very important character with limited time.

Well put! "Game of thrones" is nothing but a very long prologue. After Ned's death it begins.

Game of Thrones being so much better hasn't helped I guess but yeah, it sadly really wasn't a good show in my opinion (it could have been salvaged, but they kinda dropped the ball halfway through) but I would love to hear your thoughts on it.  Wink

I just can't get over the fact that it's Chris Chibnall's baby and he was the head writer of the first two TW seasons, I think, which are so much nonsense and crap sometime - and so deeply beloved.

(Oh and I will answer your PM.... as soon as Firefox let's me. It freezes the moment I click the reply-button. I marvel at the fact that I can post in the forum... another forum doesn't even let me do that. I may have to dust my internet explorer for some time. *sigh*)

I'm glad to hear it! I was a little bit afraid that you did not like what I had written in my last PM ...

@all: Sorry about that!
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 02:47:56 pm »

I see. You are right, of course reading in English has an effect on your German. I very seldomly read German now and it shows. But I can't go back.

It'll be hard, but I'll try for the sake of my word pool.

Just be careful. I heard that there are two versions of the translations around. But I can't say which is which and which might be better.

I consider buying this republication:

The latter, for now, after "Feast for crows". But I read that in "Dance with dragons" a few other are leaving Westeros, so that might help.

Ah, okay. I can understand how that could be boring. I think watching her on my screen helped and like I said, I loves the actress... also Ser Jorah being there is one of the best things.  Tongue

Well put! "Game of thrones" is nothing but a very long prologue. After Ned's death it begins.

And it makes me excited! Most character-deaths feal a bit like end, but this dead felt like a beginning (still sad to loose him, though).

I just can't get over the fact that it's Chris Chibnall's baby and he was the head writer of the first two TW seasons, I think, which are so much nonsense and crap sometime - and so deeply beloved. 

I consider re-watching the series in a few month or so. Sometimes things get better with time... For me there was just one thing, that could have made the whole thing really good: making Arthur a weak douchebag (which they did) and everyone realizes this but they don't care because they need a king- and Merlin spins their hard work into the legend (which they didn't).

Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 06:45:56 am »

Congrats to Peter Dinklage! He deserved the Emmy. <3  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu8pSihUJvM
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:18:33 am by Aziraphale » Logged

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 12:19:28 pm »

I was so happy when I heard this! He so deserves it, he was a perfect Tyrion and Peter Dinklage comes across as a very nice guy. To thank his dogsitter!  Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: