Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Game of Thrones (A Song if Ice and Fire)  (Read 27170 times)
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« on: June 04, 2011, 08:19:53 am »

Okay, I haven't actually watched this show (yet)  or read the books (yet) but I plant to... so you all just go ahead and talk about it and I'll just catch up later.  Wink

Both, show and book discussions (and comparisons of course) are welcome. ^___^
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:23:11 am by Aziraphale » Logged

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 08:45:46 am »

Thanks!

So, anybody else watching it, apart from me? I am still delighted with it, especially with the latest episodes because it's getting more tense every time.
Or anyone else waiting for "Dance with dragons"? But I will wait for the paperback or paperbacks if they'll have to split it like "Storm of swords".
TabulaRasa
Ka'redan

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 05:45:18 pm »

I haven't read the books, but I'm watching the TV show.  I like all of the intrigue and scheming with the characters.  And, surprisingly, there isn't a single plot line that I absolutely hate (or find horribly boring) which is unusual for me.
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 02:50:47 am »

Glad to hear that! It's always interesting to hear what those think that have not read the books. I think it's wonderful that with this show it seems to work with both groups, the newbies and the book fans.

I really try to give the characters and plots which are my least favorite ones in the books a chance here, but I find myself already being bored by them. Of course, I won't tell you which those are.  Grin
Ray~la
Ritlua

No one specific

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 05:15:41 am »

I've read the first book and a half, but I haven't watched the show yet. Is it as good as the books are?

"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." ~Lao Tzu
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 08:53:10 am »

I've read the first book and a half, but I haven't watched the show yet. Is it as good as the books are?

I don't think anything made from a book can be as good as the book, if you are a reader and lover of books. But as a show made from this dense and complicated book it is IMO as good as possible, in a way I woud not have imagined being possible. The cast is maybe not perfect for the eyes - not all of them look as they should, but most do more or less - but as soon as they step into their roles they are near perfectly acting. Great cast! Also, I totally fell in love with the locations. Beautiful, especially the Wall or the Eyrie.
As for the story, everything is there, the plotting, the intrigues, the scenes which show a character we thought we had measured in a totally new light.
In short, I am delighted with this show.
Ray~la
Ritlua

No one specific

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 08:59:50 am »

Well, that's good. I am now even more eager to see it than I was before. I'll have to watch it now, then, won't I?

Who's your favourite character/your favourite scene?

"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." ~Lao Tzu
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 09:24:43 am »

Well, that's good. I am now even more eager to see it than I was before. I'll have to watch it now, then, won't I?

Of course! Hope you'll like it, too!

Who's your favourite character/your favourite scene?

Favorite scene is a little bit difficult, because I have read "Game of thrones" 11 years ago and the next two books about 10 years ago. (I keep a list, I don't have that good a memory.) Book No. four I read 4 years ago. Bad, bad Martin, I am one of the poor souls having been waiting for so long.

My favorite characters are Ned, Jaime (I don't see a conflict there, not in those books where nothing is black or white), Ser Jorah, Sansa and last but definitely not least, Davos. I can't really say when I started to like them. I loved Ned from the start, the rest, I think, just grew on me. Cannot really say in which book.
Tyrion, of course, is someone you just cannot not like, I think. Especially as he always felt like a darker twin of L.M. Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan (wonderful book series and a deeply beloved hero, i.e. Miles).
The ones that I don't really care about are Arya and Dany. I have a thing against plucky girls like Arya, never could stand her, sorry to everyone who likes her! And Dany's parts in the books usually bored me. The rest of the characters are OK for me, some more, some less.

Who are yours?
Ray~la
Ritlua

No one specific

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 11:08:22 am »

Yeah, I'm not sure about favourite scene either... I like pretty much everything, to be honest...

My favourite characters are Jon Snow, Ned Stark, Ser Jorah, Dany, Sansa Stark, Tyrion Lannister, Sandor Clegane, Renly Baratheon (he's such a moron, and I find him hilarious)... really, I love everyone.

But yes, someone else who likes Sansa more than Arya! I always felt that I was reading it wrong, because while I love Arya and find her an interesting character, but no more than the rest of everyone.

What relationships do you find interesting? I love the Sandor and Sansa's strange thing pretty interesting, in that she's this innocent little girl, and he's this man who isn't anything close to being perfect, but he's sort of just showing some sort of sweetness to her, and she's beginning to understand how horrible the world is... I don't know. I'm also interested to see what happens when Arya and Sansa meet each other-- both of them were little girls when everything started happening, and unlike their brothers, they had to deal with everything alone, and they had no prior experience or knowledge about the real world, and they're both using whatever skills they have to survive-- Sansa's using her skills she learned to be perfect in her situation, and Arya's being tough and resourceful. Ser Jorah and Dany are also interesting...

What do you think about Catelyn?

I'm only on the second book, so I'm not sure how much of this doesn't apply for later on.

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 11:28:37 am »

But yes, someone else who likes Sansa more than Arya! I always felt that I was reading it wrong, because while I love Arya and find her an interesting character, but no more than the rest of everyone.

I'm not sure if I liked Sansa from the beginning, I think she is one that grew on me. She makes such an interesting development. Arya already is the odd one out, but Sansa, the seemingly shallow one, has to find her own way in a frightening world.

What relationships do you find interesting? I love the Sandor and Sansa's strange thing pretty interesting, in that she's this innocent little girl, and he's this man who isn't anything close to being perfect, but he's sort of just showing some sort of sweetness to her, and she's beginning to understand how horrible the world is...

Oh yes, that's a good pick! I like Sandor and this relationship. Not cozy, but interesting.

I just have to be a little bit careful to not spoil you for the later books. There is one which is fascinating if creepy ... Sorry for teasing.  Grin

I think the one I most like is Jaime and Tyrion. You so do not expect those two different brothers to love each other, but they do. I think that's what drew me to Jaime first. I'm a sucker for brotherly love.
Also, Davos and Stannis, because I like Davos so much and Stannis is so not the charismatic leader, but those two trust each other.

What do you think about Catelyn?

Not sure. I never really liked her, but she is one tough woman.
Ray~la
Ritlua

No one specific

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 03:48:59 am »

I'm not sure if I liked Sansa from the beginning, I think she is one that grew on me. She makes such an interesting development. Arya already is the odd one out, but Sansa, the seemingly shallow one, has to find her own way in a frightening world.
What I meant was, even though Arya was, as you said, the odd one out, she didn't have any real training in this regard, and she was never going to be expected to deal with this shit, especially not alone. Out of all the kids, though, Sansa and Arya are dealing with it alone, while at least the others have someone, right? But I think that's what I love about Sansa the most, since she's getting a taste of the real world, and so far she seems to be dealing with it pretty well.

I expected to like Arya from the beginning, and I expected to hate Sansa, but then... that wasn't how it turned out. :/

Oh yes, that's a good pick! I like Sandor and this relationship. Not cozy, but interesting.
Saaame. This pretty much sums up how I feel about them.

I just have to be a little bit careful to not spoil you for the later books. There is one which is fascinating if creepy ... Sorry for teasing.  Grin
Oh, how mean of you T_T. I don't mind spoilers, really.

I think the one I most like is Jaime and Tyrion. You so do not expect those two different brothers to love each other, but they do. I think that's what drew me to Jaime first. I'm a sucker for brotherly love.
Oh, God yes! I completely agree with this sentiment so much.

Also, Davos and Stannis, because I like Davos so much and Stannis is so not the charismatic leader, but those two trust each other.
Oooh, I'll have to look out for that one. I didn't think much of them so far, but yay!

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 10:30:03 am »

I expected to like Arya from the beginning, and I expected to hate Sansa, but then... that wasn't how it turned out. :/

That's what makes those books so great. I think I never had such an odd assortment of favorite characters.

Oh, how mean of you T_T. I don't mind spoilers, really.

Let's just say, there is someone around who is very good a the game of thrones and tries to teach it to her. And maybe more. And there is another spoilerish relationship of Sansa I'd love to be developed more. Can't say more, because who knows who else is reading here. Just read on.  Grin

Oooh, I'll have to look out for that one. I didn't think much of them so far, but yay!

I don't really care about Stannis and I did not care about Davos at the beginning. But somehow he really grew on me, very much so.
Ray~la
Ritlua

No one specific

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 02:25:01 pm »

Oh, you're so cruel, teasing me like this~ I guess I'll just have to read it, then, yes? I can probably watch the first three episodes this weekend (a teacher burned them for me on a CD...) Do you happen to know somewhere I can watch online?

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 11:39:15 am »

Of course you have to read it because it is good stuff. As for the rest, I sent you a private message.
You have teachers that watch GOT? Good for you!  Grin
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 06:27:29 am »

Still haven't watched it, but here are some casting news: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/60877026.html#cutid1 (in the comments is a pic where you can see how tall she is)

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: