Poll
Question: Which one/s is/are your favourite/s?
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis
Stargate Universe
Star Trek: The Original Series
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Trek: Voyager
Star Trek: Enterprise
Battlestar Galactica
Caprica
Firefly
Doctor Who
Torchwood
The Sarah Jane Adventures
Farscape
Babylon 5
Andromeda
Other (comment)
Don't watch them at all

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favourite Science Fiction Show  (Read 4072 times)
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« on: April 16, 2011, 05:55:06 pm »

Okay, I thought  maybe we could have some polls with different genres. The lists will be long, but I can't put everything in them, obviously... the options are basically the ones that I could think of right away (no I didn't watch everything.  Grin).

SCIENCE FICTION SERIES

Huh. I'm surprised about how many of those series I actually (at least partially) watched... I really like science fiction, but I'm not one of the people who has to understand all the techno-babble. I'm still most interested in the character interactions (which is why I love the Warchild universe so much.) and how they adapt to new worlds or how they interact with aliens and vice versa ect.

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 01:55:45 pm »

That's a mean one! But in the end, I had to stick to my beloved "real" SF shows, good old space ships. Sorry "Doctor Who" and "Torchwood"!

Battlestar Galactica - for me still the best show ever, because it was exactly the kind of show I had been waiting for for years.
Star Trek - Enterprise - also a tough one, because I loved Kirk & Co as well as Picard & Co. But that one, Archer & Co. was the first to have aspects of what we later got in BG. And I'm still in mourning that it was cut short.
Firefly - even worse, the cutting short. But what we got was sth special.
cclickyppp
Ritlua

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 08:04:22 am »

hokay, i'm off to class but i shall explain laters why i is choosing what i is choosing!

"Azrael."
"Yes, Captain?" I nearly fall out of my seat getting up.
"Where's Kent?"
"Dutifully returning work to its rightful owners," I smirk.
"Damn... some of that was mine," I smirk wider...
cclickyppp
Ritlua

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 02:44:06 pm »

so, first off, i totally agree with grisel that this poll is ssoooooooo mean! why only 3?!?!?! but ones i did choose - Firefly, SG Atlantis, and BSG - are because of these reasons:

Firefly - probably the best scifi show ever produced, and then cancelled  Cry the characters all had amazing stories, and Jos Whedon is just amazing at creating individual plotline within a bigger picture that i really enjoyed all of the episodes, and i own all of them as well..

Stargate: Atlantis - grew up on SG-1, and then got really into Atlantis. i found it slightly more appealing because they were dealing more for the survival of the expedition than for earth, and the villains - the wraith - are just so much damn cooler than the g'ould(?) or the ori could ever be. i also happen to own all five seasons.. go figure.

and finally,
Battlestar Galactica - this show i only got into recently, although the first time i ever watched it was when i was at a New Englands festival for choir, and the host family watched the season finale of the second season. personally i feel that the entire survival and adventure aspects really reflect onto the characters well, and therefore create a character driven plot - vs. a story driven plot, which is just never as fun.

these are the reasons, altho i still wish i could've chosen more!!!!!

"Azrael."
"Yes, Captain?" I nearly fall out of my seat getting up.
"Where's Kent?"
"Dutifully returning work to its rightful owners," I smirk.
"Damn... some of that was mine," I smirk wider...
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 05:16:49 pm »

B-but... I couldn't give the other polls three choices and that one more... I know, it breaks my heart too...

Okay, in the end I chose:

Stargate Atlantis:
I grew up with SG-1, too. I liked it, but I never watched it religiously. Then I saw the first episode of Atlantis and was hooked. I got shivers when I saw Atlantis rise out of the ocean... I loved how that the city was so big/part-flooded they never got to explore the whole thing... and the Wraith were more frightening than the Goa'Uld at that point. I was glued to my tv every wednesday and I still watch the first season on DVD from time to time. I did stop watching after Elizabeth, died though. Something changed at that time...

Star Trek: Voyager:
I think I watched every Star Trek series, except Next Generation (a sin, I know...) and it was a tough choice. In the end I choose Voyager because it was the first one I was really obsessed with. I loved all the characters (well, most of the time XD) and there was a certain warmth to that show. I know, fandom doesn't like it as much as the others, but it will always have a special place in my heart.
I do love the opening song of Star Trek: Enterprise best, though. I used to turn up the volume and just listen to it...

And I just had to pick Doctor Who:
I'm so excited for series 6 it's not even funny. I never thought there would be a day where I would pick Doctor Who over Torchwood... oh how wrong I was! It's not that I don't still enjoy Torchwood, but I'm not looking forward to the new season... not because of "hate", but because of "nothingness" I just don't care. It makes me sad.
Back to Doctor Who: I think there was no episode that I disliked so much, that I found no redeeming scene. Doctor Who has everything... there is love and joy, hate and sadness... laughing and crying. I just hope the timey-whimey stuff won't brake my head someday. x__x
I would usually agree with you Grisel... I NEED spaceships... but... I couldn't just not vote Doctor Who.

Ohhhh and Battlestar Galactica and Firefly are on my entirely too long must-watch-someday list...

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 07:54:35 am »

I think I watched every Star Trek series, except Next Generation (a sin, I know...)

HOW COULD YOU?! I'm shocked, deeply shocked.  Wink

I know, fandom doesn't like it as much as the others, but it will always have a special place in my heart.

It's not that I did not like it, for me it just was much weaker than NG which IMO was really great, at least the later seasons. But I liked DS9 even less than VOY. I told you that I usually need spaceships in my SF? Space station, who cares? I gave up after a few tries and only came back when they kidnapped my beloved Worf. Then it was watchable for me, just.

I do love the opening song of Star Trek: Enterprise best, though. I used to turn up the volume and just listen to it...

Oh yeah, that was a nice one. *youtube*

Ohhhh and Battlestar Galactica and Firefly are on my entirely too long must-watch-someday list...

AND ST:NG! You should never have told me that.  Grin
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 05:32:33 am »

HOW COULD YOU?! I'm shocked, deeply shocked.  Wink

Well, it's an old show... when I saw a glimpse of it the first time I didn't have a television in my room so I couldn't watch tv everytime I wanted to. Then, the only networks that show it occasionly are SAT1 or Kabel and they do it only on "special *insert Star Trek series here* evenings anymore... and only the 10 episodes the viewers voted on their website.
It's just so hard searching every episode online... (and I have so many shows I want to watch...)

It's not that I did not like it, for me it just was much weaker than NG which IMO was really great, at least the later seasons. But I liked DS9 even less than VOY. I told you that I usually need spaceships in my SF? Space station, who cares? I gave up after a few tries and only came back when they kidnapped my beloved Worf. Then it was watchable for me, just.

I liked some episodes and I thought the concept -a station in space- waqs interesting... but yeah... without space ships... it's okay for a season or two, but... spaceships. ;_;

AND ST:NG! You should never have told me that.  Grin

Ooooooh now I'll know were the mysterious phone calls will come from...  Grin Waaaaaa~tch iiiiii~t!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:55:33 am by Aziraphale » Logged

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 09:19:21 am »

Well, it's an old show...

Thank you for reminding me that I am a little bit older than you.  Grin
I even watched the original "Enterprise", Kirk & Co when I was a child. Not in the 60ies, though, more like early 80ies.

It's just so hard searching every episode online... (and I have so many shows I want to watch...)

OK, you are off the hook, for the moment.  Grin

I liked some episodes and I thought the concept -a station in space- waqs interesting... but yeah... without space ships... it's okay for a season or two, but... spaceships. ;_;

It was not just that, I could not stand the crew apart from Dax. Jadzia Dax, that is. Ezri Dax I could stand even less than the rest.

Ooooooh now I'll know were the mysterious phone calls will come from...  Grin Waaaaaa~tch iiiiii~t!

I think I will adopt your quote.  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: