Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping Up with the Kids...  (Read 23748 times)
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 02:11:37 pm »

Yeah, I had a lot of friends who did the first two years at community. In colleges, though, it's always better to go with a small school than a large school, I think. You usually have smaller classes and  you don't get shut out of classes that you need in smaller schools. I know some people like the appeal of schools with 40,000-60,000 people, but really, even in a school with 4,000-6,000 people like Case, you're not going to come close to meeting everyone and there is plenty to do.... When I was looking at colleges, I ruled out every one with 15,000+ students. I like having professors that know my name and being able to graduate on time too much.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Shaz
Jii-klala
Ritlua

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 04:16:21 pm »

I attended a huge university after community college. I had classes so large that *I* didn't know the *professors* name!

Baby Blog: http://thetinyoverlord.blogspot.com/

Science Blog: http://rdascience.blogspot.com/

I am made of the stuff of the stars, and the oceans flow through my veins
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 09:02:40 pm »

Oh, wow. That's impressive. Yeah, though. I have friends at OSU. One of them last time I checked, right before her midterms, couldn't tell me any of her Professors' names.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 08:26:45 pm »

The community college plan really is not a bad idea, especially since those credits will transfer as well.  Pay less to get all the fluff pre-req classes out of the way, and in today's economic situation, it's a common sense decision.  Plus some have random, but excellent programs that take a fraction of the time to graduate with than a college or university.  I have a friend who takes nothing but nursing courses at a CC and will be done in like 4 years rather than 6 or 8.

I am lucky enough to be at a school of around 1400, and I cannot imagine being at a place like OSU or Arizona State.  It's wonderful being able to almost hang out with the professors here, even getting to know and work with professors I've never even had.  W're very close-nit but there's always something going on, plenty on campus, a good bit off campus, so one doesn't need a monstrous campus to take more from what a small campus offers.

Yes, we are part of this universe.  We are in this universe.  But perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the universe is in us.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 09:42:58 pm »

Ugg... currently writing a 15 page research paper that I have due Thursday... I'm on page 5 and I'm halfway through my argument. This is unfortunate.... I also have a 10 page paper and two 20 page papers due on May 5... but on the bright side, my last day of classes ever Monday and I graduate from college (assuming I finish all of these damn papers) in three and a half weeks.

Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 03:11:37 pm »

Oh my lordie, Ritla, that sounds brutal. But you're almost done! Woo!
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 03:37:49 pm »

My fifteen page paper is becoming an exercise in putting the minimum number of words on the maximum number of pages. So far, I've got Arial font, 2.2 line spacing, a table that is 3/4 of a page long and foot notes at the bottom of every page. On the bright side, with strategy, I've made it over half way done. I'm still not sure if I'll sleep tonight, but who cares?

Because as you mentioned, Antigone, I am almost done.  Grin

Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 09:21:37 pm »

If you increase the size of all the periods by just a little bit, it adds a ton of length to your paper! Plus the professor has no way of noticing  Wink  But really, good luck with all those papers...I can't even imagine

Yes, we are part of this universe.  We are in this universe.  But perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the universe is in us.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Zodiac_Kitten
Buntla-na
Ritlua

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2010, 09:01:12 pm »

Ack i know how the sleep thing goes lol Try relaxing things that always helps (things like hot baths, reading, settling into a routine before bed.) Or whatever relaxes you.

I myself have been trying to find ways to pass the time. I've been to weak and tired lately to do much of anything. Most days i sleep and sleep and its not enough sleep, and when i do get up moving takes everything i have in me.My body just hates me. Today i've been plagued with horrible dizzy spells, and fatigue worse then i'm used to Sad Gotta see a doc but wont be able to even schedule the appointment till monday.  I'm tired, like pass out while i type tired but i cant seem to get to sleep.

Outside that, Hubby got a nice new job he starts on the third, doing tech support. Its not a big pay jump from his old job, but its a for sure 40 hours a week which we need. I FINALLY got around to applying for SSI, I was told i have a good chance of getting it by many people given the state of my problems. I dont want to come off as lazy, because i know there are people who can hold jobs with their mental issues, but I just am not one of em, I break down under the slightest bit of stress, i've never held a job more then a month, havent worked in 2 years because of it.

Gah his life is so much more interesting then mine, As i have litterally no idea where my life is going at all, what i want to do, what i'm capable of etc. I'll figure it out eventually i'm sure. For now I get to be lost until the path i need to take makes itself clear to me

Okay enough of that!
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2010, 08:33:15 am »

May last day of classes is Monday!

I got my 15 page econ paper done on time. Just two 20 page senior theses and compiling a ten page paper from my Western European Political System's groups research and a Spanish test and I'm finished with my college education. Woo!!!

Grin

Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2010, 09:51:51 am »

I am finished with school!!!

A week from tomorrow is graduation. May 16th. Very excited.  Grin

Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2010, 10:56:35 am »

Congratulations!  Must feel amazing Wink We're all proud of you!

Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2010, 01:24:25 pm »

That's great, Ritla! Congrats! Cheesy
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2010, 07:52:07 pm »

Eek. I've been gone for a while, I know. The short version: I graduated from college, spent some time in NYC w/ my college roommate, then a bit more time in Florida staying with my uncle, now I'm back in Ohio, working on joining the Army to pay of my $48K in student loans. I wanted to spent a nice long time on vacation before I had to hit real life, though.

Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2010, 09:54:00 am »

Ritla! You're back! I hope all is well with you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: