Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping Up with the Kids...  (Read 23749 times)
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 06:20:11 pm »

I just had a week of Spring Break, not actually in Spring, but Ohio was kind enough to accomodate me in making it feel that way anyway. Alas, though, I'm back in school again. 

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 08:57:33 am »

Woo!

After quite literally 21 days of processing, my student loans have finally been approved. No nervous breakdown for me. Yay!

Cheesy

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Shaz
Jii-klala
Ritlua

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 12:37:20 pm »

**cheers**  Glad to hear that!

I go back to work on April 12 and I'm already a mess over it. How can I leave this smile?

Baby Blog: http://thetinyoverlord.blogspot.com/

Science Blog: http://rdascience.blogspot.com/

I am made of the stuff of the stars, and the oceans flow through my veins
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 12:55:19 pm »

Aww... baby!

Zodiac_Kitten
Buntla-na
Ritlua

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 02:22:42 am »

Oh my Shaz...what a cute little baby!

I've been. Unbusy myself haha.

Seriously not much new, other then turning 21 and still being unable to work. Still balancing day to day life and adjusting to the reality i'm gonna be this way forever, and nothing can fix it. But yano? I'm no\sad about it anymore, i'm me and i'm learning and getting better at controlling myself, and my moods in the hopes I can one day be a productive member of society not hindered by a lable a doctor saw fit to stick on her Smiley

Hubby is doing great as well as always never seen a man so strong emotionally in my life, and at the same time still be so sweet. Smiley He still loves his video games lol

*giggles* okay so i'm being all cheesy.

Anyways, I've actually sorta considered going back to school, i'm sure i've said this before haven't i? Not sure what for yet, I change my mind so often its not even funny, and i need to be sure since i'd have to take loans etc to do it.

Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 03:16:26 pm »

Errg. Tell me about it. Education financing is the bane of my life. Tuition here has gone up eight grand a year since my freshman year (which was only two years ago!) while my financial aid has not gone up at all... It's obnoxious as all hell. Still worth it, though, I guess.  Undecided

Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 04:47:40 pm »

Ah, college finances. I spent the last three days looking at colleges, and I was told at each one that the tuition rate was going up. I was very displeased, especially since it ain't cheap in the first place. Sad
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 07:21:50 pm »

Yeah, Case had just gone up from $40,000 a year to $42,000 a year when I was starting, and no is up to $50,000 a year. It's truly unfortunate, because the amounts of federal loans you're allowed to take out certainly don't go up and scholarships usually don't either.

What schools are you looking at, Antigone?

Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 09:56:09 pm »

I'm looking at the University of Chicago, University of Illinois, and Indiana University. All of them have excellent linguistics programs and offer both well-established Arabic and Chinese programs. U of C stated that they expected students to help pay for tuition by taking out student loans, which makes me very wary.
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 10:08:50 pm »

Yeah... I was going to apply to U of C but I decided not to because of their financial aid policy. Although, from what it sounds like it's improved since my junior year of high school, when I was considering applying. At that point they more or less didn't offer financial aid outside of the usual federal loans, which was unfortunate. No way I could have paid for it.

I know I bitch a lot about how much Case costs, but it was and probably still is out of all the schools I looked at or applied to the one with the best financial aid policy. It started out covering about 90% of my cost of attendence. Considering that tuition has gone up and financial aid hasn't, it now only covers about 80%. But 80% out of $50,000 is a lot of money that I'm not paying. I'm basically taking out student loans equivalent to attending a state school (Ohio State) entirely out of pocket, which isn't too bad considering that Case is the most prestigious college in Ohio.

And, considering that I intend to join the military after graduation (I graduate in a month and a half, woo!) and the US military will pay off most outstanding student loans, I'm almost attending college for free.

On another note, Cleveland just jumped straight out of winter and into summer, all except for the fact that the trees are just now starting to bud. It was in the thirties last weekend, and today it got up to eighty-five. It's one in the morning and still seventy-two degrees outside. I just went for a nice long walk (probably not the best idea in East Cleveland, but who cares?) and it was wonderful. Cheesy

Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 10:21:30 pm »

Ah, you too? When I visited U of C on monday, it was freezing outside! Well, mostly because I was underdressed and the weather channel lied, but today was absolutely gorgeous. I hope tomorrow is the same.
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 03:13:21 pm »

Status update:

I am seriously overworked at the moment, as I only have three weeks of classes to go until the end of the year, and in that time I have to give four presentations, totaling about fifty minutes (three of which, about 35 minutes of the total are all tomorrow, with one presentation in every class), plus I have numerous papers, totaling to about 65 pages, and a few Spanish labs and tests to boot. Other than that, though, things are going well.

Did I mention, I'm graduating from college in five weeks?  Grin

Also, for the first time since I've gotten to Case, I'm feeling fond of the Bursar's Office. I am once and truly for good paid off to Case. I had a loan that was suppose to go through, which would have paid off everything, but it didn't go through on time because of delays on Sallie Mae's end, and Case tacked on a late fee for that which was somewhat ridiculous, but I asked the Bursar's Office nicely and today they actually took that off. So I don't owe a single cent more to this institution. Considering how much trouble paying Case has given me over the last three years, I'm incredibly happy about this.   Cheesy

It's really quite wonderful. Now I just have to get all of those loans paid off, right?

Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 07:04:09 pm »

Hang in there! You're almost done. I'm rather jealous; I still have to finish high school and then spend at least four more years in college before I can say I don't have to worry about school anymore. That's great that you don't have to pay any pesky late fees. Smiley
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 06:46:35 am »

Four years is negotiable, depending on where you go. I'm managing to get out in three. It's rather nice. Just don't end in a crowded state school, where all of the classes fill up and you can't get out until five.  Cheesy

Shaz
Jii-klala
Ritlua

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 07:57:23 am »

A lot depends on your major, as well.

This is also where I remind people that community colleges are often over looked and undervalued. I think community colleges are the best value in education out there. Finish your first two years in TWO YEARS, not in 3 or more at a large university.  Tuition is less, class sizes are smaller, teachers are usually more interested in teaching than publication of their latest research AND you can often live at home and save even more money that way.

Baby Blog: http://thetinyoverlord.blogspot.com/

Science Blog: http://rdascience.blogspot.com/

I am made of the stuff of the stars, and the oceans flow through my veins
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: