Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Doctor Who / Torchwood  (Read 86262 times)
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #270 on: January 01, 2012, 08:11:34 pm »

Has anyone else watched the Christmas Special yet?

All I can say is...SO MOFFAT MY HEAD ASPLODE. And not in a bad way. I did enjoy this episode, though I felt the pacing didn't do the plot justice; I think this would have made a good two hour movie with all the material that was crammed in. And the end! Loved the ending so much!

SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT:

Amy has really grown on me and I'm glad she and Rory made an appearance. Of course she would use a water gun on carolers. It must be interesting to interact with the Ponds.  Cheesy The Doctor being so touched that he cries "humany wumany" tears of happiness is just heartwarming.

/END SPOILER
(we should really get some spoiler tags...)

The one thing that I can't suspend disbelief about is the beginning because a.) space doesn't work that way and b.) Time Lord or not he could not have survived that fall. Granted, the Tenth Doctor did jump out of a plane and basically belly flopped through a sky light, not only surviving but then preceding to get up and have one of his most epic moments ever. But then again, the circumstances were vastly different...

Oh, and does anyone else think that The Doctor is becoming more childish? Eleven has always been that way, but I feel this episode REALLY emphasizes it. It can be endearing, but sometimes its a bit much, considering that he's over 900 years old. Is this behavior the current regeneration's coping mechanism? 
Hm, maybe the theory that he's aging backwards is true!...if that's even a theory...
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #271 on: January 02, 2012, 06:54:44 am »

I have watched it and was a little bit underwhelmed. I know it's a mistake to think about details like logic in "Doctor Who", but the story did not really make sense for me. Like, why did the Doc think he had to help the family? I know he owed sth to the mother, but the children were not unhappy. Why the present and how could he be so stupid confused not to see that it would be dangerous? Or, what I'm still thinking about, how did the one who appeared at the end (Spoilers!  Grin) explan that without getting arrested?
Also, I did not feel any of the charm. I prefered the one last year.
But I did have fun watching it, especially the Doctor. I guess I am now officially a Doc Smith fan. Also, the guest stars did a good job and the three guys were extremely funny.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #272 on: August 28, 2012, 05:04:43 pm »

Have some (minor) spoilers:

Steven Moffat has confirmed that there will be no two-part stories in Series 7.
Steven Moffat recently dined with David Tennant.
Caro Skinner has revealed that there will be several “live” Who events in 2013.
Richard E. Grant (who played an “alternate” Ninth Doctor in the BBCi web series Scream of the Shalka, and an all together “alternate” Ninth Doctor in the Steven Moffat-penned charity skit, The Curse of the Fatal Death) will play the villain in the 2012 Christmas Special.
Steven Moffat: “The Doctor has 13 lives. UNLESS I make something up”.
Asylum of the Daleks is 45 minutes long.
The Radio Times reports that there will be a new opening title sequence, and the Doctor Who logo will change with each episode to reflect the story.  The first logo will be covered in Dalek “bumps”, the Dinosaurs on a Spaceship episode will feature a logo with the texture of scales.  Each episode title will also be presented as a unique “logo”, changing with each story.  This follows on from Moffat’s hint earlier in the year that they were going for “epic blockbusters” and that they were going to “slut up the titles”.
The Dalek home planet of Skaro will appear for the first time in the new series.
Russell T. Davies’s Dalek replica was shipped to Cardiff to be used for the episode, making it a “proper” Dalek.
The candy-colored “New Paradigm Daleks” have received a metallic makeover.
The majority of the Daleks in the first episode are of the Russell T. Davies Bronze class.
A huge “I can’t believe they kept that a secret” secret is revealed about something else that happened to one of the Ponds at Demon’s Run.
The episode titles for Series 7A are: Asylum of the Daleks, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, A Town Called Mercy, The Power of Three and The Angels Take Manhattan.
Steven Moffat has recently also had dinner with Peter Davison.
There are four HUGE OMG moments.
The Daleks refer to The Doctor as “Doctor Who”.
The Last Great Time War is not mentioned.
Events from The Wedding of River Song are mentioned.
In a recent interview, Matt Smith was asked which former companion he would like to take on a trip in the TARDIS.  He replied that it would probably be Rose Tyler, as he and Billie Piper are “mates”.  Hint for the future?
The broadcast date for the first episode is September 1st, in both the UK and America.

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2012, 10:43:17 am »

Thanks Aziraphale! Sounds lovely!!
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2012, 09:02:52 am »

Okay, I think I liked the new episode. Except the Amy/Rory drama, but I still love Rory so...

At first I rolled my eyes at Oswin, but somehow she won me over in the end. I was geniunly surprised at the twist! I thought she was going to be one of those human puppets! But "egg.stirr.(minate) aka the souflé thing should have been a clue! Especially since Rory tried to give the Daleks an egg.  Roll Eyes

I'm curious how she'll become the new companion now. I mean "Remember me." spoken directly in the camera... not subtle.  Grin Also, I'm surprised how they kept her being in the first episode a secret. Well, I guess because she only had in door filming.

Did anyone spot the RTD Dalek? I couldn't find him! D:

I would have loved to see a truly insane Dalek! Loved the scene where Amy sees the Daleks as humans. That was an impressive picture.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:53:49 am by Aziraphale » Logged

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #275 on: September 02, 2012, 12:25:55 pm »

Okay, I think I liked the new episode.

I KNOW I liked it! I enjoyed every second of it. That was quite an unusual first episode. If this is the shape of the things to come this season, count me in! Well, count me in anyway, but, you get my meaning.  Grin

Except the Amy/Rory drama, but I still love Rory so...

Funnily, I liked that. It was the first time the Ponds felt human again to me and the first time in a very long time when I actually felt Amy. I especially liked the bit about her protesting that he loves her more. Also, I think it is good that they kept the story about her being a model. Continuity, yeah!

Speaking of continuity, nanobots!

I was geniunly surprised at the twist!

That was masterfully done! I was angry at myself that I had spoiled myself and knew that she would appear, but how I never could have guessed so my chin dropped to the floor, too.
Reminded me a little bit on the cybermen that kept part of their humanity.

Especially since Rory tried to give the Daleks an egg.  Roll Eyes

I liked that!

I'm curious how she'll become the new companion now. I mean "Remember me." spoken directly in the camera... not subtle.  Grin Also, I'm surprised how they kept her being in the first episode a secret. Well, I guess because she only had in door filming.

That must have been quite difficult to keep that a secret but I am very glad that they managed it and this time no one thought of spoiling the fun.

Just one episode in and already our brains start working thinking about how they can bring her back. The Doc never saw her in her human form, did he?

Oh, and, Oswin?! I wonder if that has any meaning that she had a man's name.

Did anyone spot the RTD Dalek? I couldn't find him! D:

Me neither. I kept looking for a black one. Maybe the one who started the self-destruct? Moffat did say that he had a special role to play and that he returned it with a few scratches, but I was not sure of its colour.

BTW, I think it's lovely that Moffat did RTD that favour.

I would have loved to see a truly insane Dalek! Loved the scene where Amy sees the Daleks as humans. That was an impressive picture.

Are they not all insane a little bit? Aw, I love the Daleks, so cute!  Grin

I loved the bit a the beginning. "How much trouble? Eleven!" leading right to the end and "Doctor Who???"

For me, that was 10/10.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #276 on: September 08, 2012, 05:01:05 pm »

LOL that was a bit of a mess (but a funny one) and the only thing I really remember is the Doctor smooching Rory.  Grin

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #277 on: September 09, 2012, 11:36:55 am »

LOL that was a bit of a mess (but a funny one) and the only thing I really remember is the Doctor smooching Rory.  Grin

That must have made some shippers very happy.  Grin

But that really was a bit of a mess. Not quite like "Black Pearl" but not that far away. The surest sign for me is when I start surfing away while watching. I never thought about doing that during episode 7.1.

But Chris Chibnall surely had a lot of fun planting bits for TW fans, if I am not too positively paranoid. Or is there anyone who loves Torchwood who did not smile when the pterodactyls appeared? Or "chuckle brothers"?

A little bit of a shock was the suggestive remarks, about, ah, what Dad had in his pockets and what kind of weapon a man for Nefertiti needs ...  Shocked
And the way the Doc handled the bad guy at the end felt very, very, very wrong. I wonder if that was deliberately. It has to be, has it not?

Perfect casting, Daddy Weasley looked as if he really could have been Rory's father. Him looking down at the earth at the end was quite nice. Also, I liked Rory still feeling nursey and the underlying theme of the Doc having to let the Ponds go, sooner or later.

But all in all the extras did feel a little unnecessary. What was the point in Nefertiti and Lestrade? And Daddy Williams only was on board to solve the problem.

It was fun, but won't be one the more memorable episodes for me.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #278 on: September 09, 2012, 03:13:40 pm »

That must have made some shippers very happy.  Grin

Grin

The Doctor and Rory should team up more often! They're so much fun!

But Chris Chibnall surely had a lot of fun planting bits for TW fans, if I am not too positively paranoid. Or is there anyone who loves Torchwood who did not smile when the pterodactyls appeared? Or "chuckle brothers"?

I think I even said "MYFANWY!" out loud.  Wink

And the way the Doc handled the bad guy at the end felt very, very, very wrong. I wonder if that was deliberately. It has to be, has it not?

I think it was deliberate.
I knew the guy was toast when he killed the cute dino (who was a walking cliché but I liked it anyway). You shouldn't kill the Doctors friends... he won't save you from missiles.

Perfect casting, Daddy Weasley looked as if he really could have been Rory's father. Him looking down at the earth at the end was quite nice. Also, I liked Rory still feeling nursey and the underlying theme of the Doc having to let the Ponds go, sooner or later.

I really loved that he just wanted to see the earth from above.

But all in all the extras did feel a little unnecessary. What was the point in Nefertiti and Lestrade? And Daddy Williams only was on board to solve the problem.

I have no idea why they were there but I wouldn't be surprised if the episodes just introduced them to us and we'll see them again later. Also, the real Nerfetiti vanished one day (probably died of the plague but her grave was empty) and that's a nice way of explaining that.

It was fun, but won't be one the more memorable episodes for me.

Same. The only thing I want from a DW episode is it not being boring. And boy was I bored in the Flesh episodes for example, so I'll take this one over those every day.

ETA: 10 teasers for the next episode:

“That’s what you said when you left your phone charger in Henry VIII’s suite”

There’s another ********* reference

“Hey you! Bowtie! Get back across that line. Now”

“He shoots people’s hats??”

“I think the time for subterfuge has past. Good afternoon, my name is ****** ***, and I am the Doctor”

“That’s not the plan. He’s not following the plan”

“Looking at you Doctor is like looking into a mirror, almost. There’s rage there, like me. Guilt there, like me. Solitude. Everything but the nerve to do what needs to be done!”

The Doctor brings a secret weapon to the High Noon Standoff.

“Go, just go. I can’t save them while you’re here”

“I am a ******** ** ***; I have no role to play during peace”

Trailer Teaser: “Every time we flew away with the Doctor we just become part of his life. But he never stood still long enough to become part of ours…except once. The year of the **** ********”
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 03:15:37 pm by Aziraphale » Logged

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #279 on: September 10, 2012, 09:51:22 am »

I think it was deliberate.
I knew the guy was toast when he killed the cute dino (who was a walking cliché but I liked it anyway). You shouldn't kill the Doctors friends... he won't save you from missiles.

But the Doc, who hates weapons, acting as prosecutor, judge and executioner felt very disturbing and just plain wrong. The more I think about it, the wronger it feels. I do very much hope that they pick this up again.

I really loved that he just wanted to see the earth from above.

That was almost a Wilf moment!

I have no idea why they were there but I wouldn't be surprised if the episodes just introduced them to us and we'll see them again later. Also, the real Nerfetiti vanished one day (probably died of the plague but her grave was empty) and that's a nice way of explaining that.

You mean like Liz 10 and Churchill in season 5? But that felt not that forced. OK, let's see where they take this.
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #280 on: September 16, 2012, 04:16:17 am »

I have very mixed feelings about that one! So they did visit the question of what happened to the Doc not finding non-killing solutions anymore. "That's what happens when you travel alone too long". His problems dealing with someone who is not just bad and who the villain is ... I can't really put my finger on it, but the way it was dealt with felt extremely shallow too me. This was no "Waters of Mars", where the dark Doc felt outright chilling. This just confused me. So he just decided he wanted to change? That now he is the exectioner of the Universe until Any or some other random human tells him not to? That he not only touchs guns, he threatens to shoot someone?!  Shocked And how would he have solved this if the alien doctor had not sacrificed himself?
I just can't feel this change of character in Doc Smith. Where did it come from? I do hope we will hear more about that.

But it did have nice touches. The horse called Susan, Amy confessing to being a mother (somehow) and a very nice mixture of every Western cliché. (I used to love Western movies when I was a kid.)

Next week's episode looks quite interesting. Please!

PS: Was I the only one to think that the barmaid looked like River?!
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #281 on: September 16, 2012, 02:13:28 pm »

As someone who wasn't bothered by what the Doctor did last episode, I didn't like that he picked up the gun. I am however glad that you could see that he kind of went crazy there for half an episode. I'm curious if this is going to be an ongoing storyline this season.

It wasn't my favourite episode, but I liked the grey morality here (but lol the Gunblazer looked Borg-ish. .___.) and that no one was painted as the clear villain.

Next week looks interesting. Have some teasers:

“Of course I’ve got a job. What do you think we do when you’re not here?”

That’s an interesting name for any fans from the classic series.

“With a dress sense like that, you must be the Doctor”

“The Doctor is god knows where. The cubes aren’t doing anything at all. Did real life just get started?”

It’s Rory’s turn to kiss the Doctor this week.

“Who has an underground base! Terrible ventilation”

Amy rips the Doctor’s clothes, and gives him a shock.

“Through the Looking Glass Amelia”

“I thought the Shankry were a myth, a myth to keep the young of Gallifrey in their place”

“Actually it’s you they can’t give up Doctor”

Trailer teaser

“The Angels will come, and I think they are coming for you”

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #282 on: September 23, 2012, 11:14:11 am »

I liked that one! Nothing special, but also absolutely nothing that bothered me, but a nice, interesting story and a twist with having it go over a whole year. As an additional bonus, Brian Williams. I'm very happy that this halfseason I care for the Ponds again, including Amy. That was a very lovely scene between her and the Doc in front of the Tower.

“Who has an underground base! Terrible ventilation”

Good old Chris Chibnall.  Grin
But that was the only Torchwood reference I caught.

Is it really already over next week?  Cry
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #283 on: September 23, 2012, 12:41:00 pm »

Is it really already over next week?  Cry

Yes.  Cry Half seasons SUCK.

I liked this one as well! UNIT! I kept waiting for someone referencing Martha, but I liked it nonetheless. The Brigadiers daughter can show up again, please.

Well, the ending was a bit weird, because we've never heard of that alien before, but hey... it's not the first time that has happened. Also, I thought the cubes were kinda... cute?

Papa Williams is always a bonus. Now I hope the Ponds survive next week even MORE. I don't want him to be sad!

Found on tumblr:

WAIT A SECOND
        IF AMY MARRIED KING HENRY VIII
        AND THE DOCTOR MARRIED QUEEN ELIZABETH I
        THAT WOULD MAKE AMY
        QUEEN ELIZABETH’S STEPMOTHER
        WHICH WOULD MEAN
        THAT AMY POND
        IS THE DOCTOR’S MOTHER-IN-LAW
        TWICE
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 04:33:22 pm by Aziraphale » Logged

Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #284 on: October 13, 2012, 06:41:31 am »

Doctor Who - The Angels Take Manhattan...P.S. - Arthur Darvill Voices an Unfilmed Scene

Rory's heartfelt goodbye to Brian was a scene cut from the episode, I guess for time. But the BBC and Arthur have made this short animation to round off the Ponds departure.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/10/doctor-who-angels-take-manhattanps.html

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
  Print  

Jump to: