Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Doctor Who / Torchwood  (Read 86276 times)
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 04:28:42 am »

Oh great, welcome Andtheodyssey! Hope you have fun with the remaining episodes!

As for Ianto being the teaboy, I think that's nicely explained in "Fragments" where he kind of writes his own job description and is hired without Jack really needing him, just because he looks good in a suit and sth clicked between them. But he didn't arrive that much before Gwen, so maybe Jack had planned to make him a real agent, but didn't have the time. Weapons training between Jack and Ianto, now there's an idea!  Grin

The beauty in this relationship and how it is shown for me is that we are not shown that much, but can surmise from the tidbits. In my personal canon they started shagging right away - which explains Jack's furor about his betrayal - and took it up again afterwards with the stopwatch. Then the relationship must have slowly changed. For me, Jack's reaction to his death is the absolute proof that he did love him. More the tragedy.

Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 06:20:19 am »

The beauty in this relationship and how it is shown for me is that we are not shown that much, but can surmise from the tidbits. In my personal canon they started shagging right away - which explains Jack's furor about his betrayal - and took it up again afterwards with the stopwatch. Then the relationship must have slowly changed. For me, Jack's reaction to his death is the absolute proof that he did love him. More the tragedy.

I remember reading that they planned to have Jack say "I love you, too" as Ianto was dying, but (I think) GDL thought that wouldn't be something Jack would do... or something like that.

According to Jacks notes in "The Torchwood Archives" to the episode "They Keep Killing Suzie":

Other Staff Issues:
Ianto and I stayed back to go over the case files and reorganise the safe. Internal security cameras were temporarily shut down to run diagnostic tests, so there was no monitoring of the Hub for approximately four hours - but there was no security breaches to report. Everything went smoothly.

Upcoming Issues: Need to requestion a new stopwatch. Old damaged while moving a desk.

There are some more notes regarding their relationship, we don't see in the series. It's fun.

But I do think they started to shag sooner, like you... because Jack was REALLY angry in Cyberwoman. You don't get that angry over a flirt you never really talked to.

-> http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com/2011/01/dwn070111093008-torchwood-broadcast.html <-

My sisters birthday...oi.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:42:07 am by Aziraphale » Logged

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 08:18:16 am »

I remember reading that they planned to have Jack say "I love you, too" as Ianto was dying, but (I think) GDL thought that wouldn't be something Jack would do... or something like that.

I think it's much better the way they finally did it, even if the fan-atics of course hate Jack's "don't". For me it's perfect because it fits to Owen's first death, when he says to Tosh that "I love you" while dying does not mean anything. He doesn't have to say it. Also, in a way he did say it, in "To the last man", this nice dialogue before the nice kiss, when he talks about loving people he never would have met and then looking straight at Ianto. Much more subtle. And of course, his reaction to Ianto's death.
Beautifully written and played. If a beloved character has to die, I think there is no better way than like this.

Also, I think the stopwatch dialogue makes much more sense in thinking that they picked up where they left instead of starting. But of course, that can be interpreted as anyone likes.

According to Jacks notes in "The Torchwood Archives" to the episode "They Keep Killing Suzie":

A friend got me that book for my birthday and I read it all in one sitting. Very nice. And very slasher-friendly.
But I do think they started to shag sooner, like you... because Jack was REALLY angry in Cyberwoman. You don't get that angry over a flirt you never really talked to.

That episode is such a two-men-drama. Of course, the others are important and Lisa, too, but it all takes place between those two. And it feels like raw passion deriving from having been betrayed and used in more than one way. For me.

My sisters birthday...oi.

And there I go thinking "damn, usually I'm on holiday end of july".
But this will fit nicely between the two halves of DW this year.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 01:58:28 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj7e7_Uz4Fk&feature=player_embedded  Alex Kingston on some show (Craig Ferguson). :3
@Andtheodyssey: You'll meet her character quite soon. ^^ (And that is when everything changes  Tongue)

A friend got me that book for my birthday and I read it all in one sitting. Very nice. And very slasher-friendly.

It is indeed. I've put it into my personal canon. I really enjoyed it. :3

That episode is such a two-men-drama. Of course, the others are important and Lisa, too, but it all takes place between those two. And it feels like raw passion deriving from having been betrayed and used in more than one way. For me.

I agree with this. It takes the Ianto-character who was in the backround and shows the audience that there is more to him and more to him AND Jack than you thought. They don't spell it out for you, but you sense it's something personal and intense and I love it. *_*

More spoiler-ish information:

http://www.tvline.com/2011/01/torchwood-season-4-spoiler/

Why does it have to be so dark? I know it's all trendy for shows to be as dark and edgy and gritty as possible in order to prove that they are "artistic", but I mean, it is okay to have hope sometime. It is okay to allow characters to have a little bit of joy.
I mean... Torchwood was never a funny show, but ... aaaargh that screams "characters dying here!" (And if it's not Gwen I'm going to be annoyed. Not because I don't like her or because I wish she would die (I would cry for Rhys and Anwen) but because she's basically next on the list.)
I don't care if she's bloody snow white!

Ausiello is revealing a phrase today:

The new season of Torchwood asks the provocative (and arguably horrifying) question, “*h*t *o**d *a***n *f *h* *****e ***** *a** ****** ********?”

Hm...  "What would happen if the ..."?

Edit: Sie habens aufgelöst: “What would happen if the entire human race became immortal?”
... What?

And apparently the title is now "Torchwood: Miracle Day"... but....but I actually quite liked "New World"! Figures. -.-
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:21:54 pm by Aziraphale » Logged

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 04:54:21 am »

I agree with this. It takes the Ianto-character who was in the backround and shows the audience that there is more to him and more to him AND Jack than you thought. They don't spell it out for you, but you sense it's something personal and intense and I love it. *_*

I like this not showing everything but leaving something to think about, to fill in the blanks.

Why does it have to be so dark? I know it's all trendy for shows to be as dark and edgy and gritty as possible in order to prove that they are "artistic", but I mean, it is okay to have hope sometime. It is okay to allow characters to have a little bit of joy.

During 10 episoded there will be time for everything, I guess.

I mean... Torchwood was never a funny show, but ... aaaargh that screams "characters dying here!" (And if it's not Gwen I'm going to be annoyed. Not because I don't like her or because I wish she would die (I would cry for Rhys and Anwen) but because she's basically next on the list.)
I don't care if she's bloody snow white!

I don't think she will ever die in the show and that's more than OK for me. I guess the more she is hated by the haters (I don't mean you!!), the more I like her. I am like that.

Edit: Sie habens aufgelöst: “What would happen if the entire human race became immortal?”
... What?

That's a very interesting concept. I'm looking forward to see what they'll do with it.
Of course, the haters have figured out RTD's evil plans: he does this only to slap them in the face, because, of course, he had it all planned beforehand. First kill Ianto just out of spite and then declare that no one will die again.  Roll Eyes
I really, really, really gets old. They so need another hobby apart from twisting every new information about that show. But, good for the show, because some of them will watch it just to find things to hate.

And apparently the title is now "Torchwood: Miracle Day"... but....but I actually quite liked "New World"! Figures. -.-

I prefer the new one. But then, I guess I'm still hopelessly in love with everything TW, old and COE and new. And I'll never forget that the first two series were sth totally different.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 07:51:31 am »

I like this not showing everything but leaving something to think about, to fill in the blanks.

And fill the blanks the fanfic authors did!

During 10 episoded there will be time for everything, I guess.

Well, I expect some dumb faces when nobody dies... and some dangerous yet somehow funny stunts to proof that nobody dies...

I don't think she will ever die in the show and that's more than OK for me. I guess the more she is hated by the haters (I don't mean you!!), the more I like her. I am like that.

Heh. I know the feeling. It works with some characters for me, too. Gwen is not one of them... I just don't care about the haters... I guess the reason is that I know Supernatural fandom. The Gwen-Haters are kittens in comparison to many people running around there.

... What?

Woah... I switched to German without noticing. ö___ö *lol* (I guess I wrote a PM in the other window...)

That's a very interesting concept. I'm looking forward to see what they'll do with it.
Of course, the haters have figured out RTD's evil plans: he does this only to slap them in the face, because, of course, he had it all planned beforehand. First kill Ianto just out of spite and then declare that no one will die again.  Roll Eyes

Well, my first thought was "...Why NOW? ;___; I already hate the thing who did that for being to late <>.<>"... but I don't think I even thought of "He totes planned that! Like for revenge...and stuff!" Hm, somehow I'm very amused by this... (but I understand you being annoyed by it... cause I always get annoyed when someone says unreasonable things against Moffat.^^;)

Hm,... I guess at least one of them will be mortally wounded by the time they're able to reverse things and the person will either choose to die or Jack will decide he can't loose more people and does... some... thing. (Well, both scenarios are not mutually exclusive.)

I'm actually the most curious about the ties to Doctor Who. I mean... it's not like they could say "The Doctor is busy right now, so he can't help" because he has a bloody time machine... you can't come to late with a time machine. Okay, it's Eleven... I take that back. And who knows what happens to the Tardis this season... okay, we'll see. But they should at least *mention* UNIT (who are stationed in the US right?) or Martha. She does have the Doctors telephon number afterall, so they should at least try to contact her.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:11:47 am by Aziraphale » Logged

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 11:15:06 am »

And fill the blanks the fanfic authors did!

That's the dangerous part of this kind of writing.  Grin
Well, I expect some dumb faces when nobody dies... and some dangerous yet somehow funny stunts to proof that nobody dies...

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that now, when we know nothing more that this simple synopsis the haters go on rambling that this is just a way to make Gwen immortal. Hello? It's the whole world. And we can surmise that something is deeply wrong which will be righted at the end. That's it.

I know I said this before, but I will never get it how one can be so negatively passionate about a simple, silly TV show. Because, as much as I love it, it is nothing more than that. It is no religion and nothing that has any impact on anyone's life.

I just don't care about the haters... I guess the reason is that I know Supernatural fandom. The Gwen-Haters are kittens in comparison to many people running around there.

That's a spooky thought.

Has it always been like that or is that one of the downsides of the internet? I'm always passionate about the things I love, but if I stop loving them I might go and write a disappointed review. And then move on. But I hate the vindictivness of the haters, who obviously try to sour it for the poor lost souls who don't hate.

It's so silly. On one forum there immediately one came and said that it surely will be cancelled. Why? What's the sense in saying sth like that before the bloody show has even started filming? How can that make one feel better? I. Don't. Get. It.

It's not about critic or saying that one hated COE and hates RTD's writing. That's OK, matter of taste. Great. It's about criticizing things we don't even know yet that they'll happen. Just wait. I'm sure as soon as it starts, there will be a lot to hate.

Woah... I switched to German without noticing. ö___ö *lol* (I guess I wrote a PM in the other window...)

I did wonder.  Grin

Well, my first thought was "...Why NOW? ;___; I already hate the thing who did that for being to late <>.<>"... but I don't think I even thought of "He totes planned that! Like for revenge...and stuff!" Hm, somehow I'm very amused by this... (but I understand you being annoyed by it... cause I always get annoyed when someone says unreasonable things against Moffat.^^;)

Apart from the fact that it really does annoy me because I happen to like RTD (which is my problem) it is absurd. Ianto and Anti-Gwen are not the center of the universe. So if the new series is about THE WHOLE BLOODY FRAKKING WORLD not dying, why make it about Ianto and/or Gwen? Now? We have no idea what that synopsis entails. Maybe it's a curse that has to be broken by tickling Jack to death. Maybe it's a plot by green sheep (where did that come from?) to take over the world and has to be stopped by Gwen doing whatever. Thing is, we don't know. So what's the point in making it about Ianto. Again.
They are welcome to wail all they like if it turns out to be like that. But now? And every time we hear anything new?

I'm actually the most curious about the ties to Doctor Who. I mean... it's not like they could say "The Doctor is busy right now, so he can't help" because he has a bloody time machine... you can't come to late with a time machine. Okay, it's Eleven... I take that back. And who knows what happens to the Tardis this season... okay, we'll see. But they should at least *mention* UNIT (who are stationed in the US right?) or Martha. She does have the Doctors telephon number afterall, so they should at least try to contact her.

And who says they won't? They did that in COE with mentioning Martha being busy on honeymoon and UNIT as part of the story and Gwen's video message, talking about the Doctor not being there every time Earth is in danger. Maybe its written into his Vortex contract that he has to leave Earth and humanity to their own mess every third time. Or the universal disclaimer, maybe it's a fixed time event.

Sorry, if I sound a little bit tense. It does get on my nerves. But please know that I never mean you, but the haters.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 12:21:52 pm »

That's the dangerous part of this kind of writing.  Grin

Yes.  Cheesy There are some really amazing fics out there... and if I have to search through 99 bad ones first, so be it.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that now, when we know nothing more that this simple synopsis the haters go on rambling that this is just a way to make Gwen immortal. Hello? It's the whole world. And we can surmise that something is deeply wrong which will be righted at the end. That's it.

Well, If Gwen is going to be immortal after everyone isn't anymore, I'm going to bitch a little too, but I really don't think it's going to happen, so you won't hear (read ö.ö) me complaining.

And somehow I have to think of the Supernatural episode "Death takes a Holiday" where the people in one city don't die. Someone holds the reaper in charge hostage and kidnaps every other reaper arriving to do the job.

I know I said this before, but I will never get it how one can be so negatively passionate about a simple, silly TV show. Because, as much as I love it, it is nothing more than that. It is no religion and nothing that has any impact on anyone's life.

Some people are just strange. It's the same with fans who have tatoos of their show or run into debt to because they want to attend every convention... Some people really scare me...

That's a spooky thought.

The Supernatural fandom has really broad range ... you can find the most wonderfull people and the biggest nut jobs at the same place.
Example: There are people who are convinced the two lead actors are secretly gay and together. Despite them being happily married to women since last year... you don't want to know what they call those poor women... (I read about an incedent where a fan wanted the security to remove Jensen Ackles girlfriend (now wife) from a convention, because she took the fans time away from them)...
You may weep for humanity now.

Has it always been like that or is that one of the downsides of the internet? I'm always passionate about the things I love, but if I stop loving them I might go and write a disappointed review. And then move on. But I hate the vindictivness of the haters, who obviously try to sour it for the poor lost souls who don't hate.

I really think it's one of the downsides of the internet.

And who says they won't? They did that in COE with mentioning Martha being busy on honeymoon and UNIT as part of the story and Gwen's video message, talking about the Doctor not being there every time Earth is in danger. Maybe its written into his Vortex contract that he has to leave Earth and humanity to their own mess every third time. Or the universal disclaimer, maybe it's a fixed time event.

Oh I don't think they won't try to contact the Doctor... I just wonderwhat they'll say when he doesn't show up.. because "Sometimes the Doctor doesn't some" was kind of the punchline of CoE. I'm usually all for a season long Arc, but with Torchwood I always thought it was good that they had stand alone episodes, because I always figured they would call the Doctor for a worldwide crisis. It fit for CoE... I'm curious how they'll explain it in Miracle day... Or perhaps Jack's gonna say the Doctor send him? .___.
Are Moffat and RTD in contact so they could think of some throw away lines?
Oh and Martha-on-honeymoon was one of the things that really bothered me... (Yes I know she was suppossed to show up) Why didn't they say that Martha was with UNIT, trying to figure out something that could help them (but obviously finding nothing)? They wouldn't have needed the actress for that.

Sorry, if I sound a little bit tense. It does get on my nerves. But please know that I never mean you, but the haters.

It's okay. ^^
(Just curious, in which forum do you mean? I haven't been in a Torchwood forum for a long time...)

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 12:57:29 pm »

Well, If Gwen is going to be immortal after everyone isn't anymore, I'm going to bitch a little too, but I really don't think it's going to happen, so you won't hear (read ö.ö) me complaining.

I just think they should at least wait with ranting until they have Jack kill Rhys, marrying immortal Gwen, naming their first child Rusty and dancing on Ianto's grave. If he has a grave, that is.

And somehow I have to think of the Supernatural episode "Death takes a Holiday" where the people in one city don't die. Someone holds the reaper in charge hostage and kidnaps every other reaper arriving to do the job.

Of course they are not the first to think about that, but let's see how they deal with it. Maybe it turns out that Owen has become death and married Tosh in Hades with Ianto as their nanny. That might make some fans happy.  Grin

You may weep for humanity now.

One can only hope that those people are very, very young and will grow up. Or find professional help.

Or perhaps Jack's gonna say the Doctor send him? .___.

That might be interesting.

Are Moffat and RTD in contact so they could think of some throw away lines?

I only know that at least in season 5 they sent him all the new episodes to watch. But as he is still running "Sarah Jane" I'd assume that they have to be in contact, so that RTD doesn't mess with anything Moffat plans.

Oh and Martha-on-honeymoon was one of the things that really bothered me... (Yes I know she was suppossed to show up) Why didn't they say that Martha was with UNIT, trying to figure out something that could help them (but obviously finding nothing)? They wouldn't have needed the actress for that.

Because UNIT in COE had not been exactly the good guys. So we have to surmise that she had already left UNIT then. As of course it must have been Mickey she had married.

(Just curious, in which forum do you mean? I haven't been in a Torchwood forum for a long time...)

http://torchwoodforum.co.uk/index.php

Silly me even registered there, because most of the thread you can't read otherwise and I was looking for sth. All the time I kept my vow never to enter such a hellhole, but I got weak. It's not that bad, RTD-wise, actually. Of course, the same nutters as everywhere. And I can subtly work my RTD agenda.  Grin
Don't rat me out! I guess I'm easy to identfy. But I try to keep a low profile because I don't want to get into any fights.
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 01:51:29 pm »

So, I finished series 4 and the subsequent episodes leading up to series 5. Loved it. I love Donna! She has been my favorite companion so far. Oh gods do I love her dynamic with The Doctor. She is such a strong, passionate character and it was great to see her change from the 'nothing special about me temp worker' to her role in saving the universe. The finale did make me very sad; I personally think that what happened to her is even worse than being stuck in a parallel universe like Rose. At least the latter, while no longer able to travel, has the human clone of The Doctor, Donna has nothing. No memories and nothing to remind her that she's not worthless or a disappointment. She lost some of the things I liked most about her character development. It was also sad to see how much emotional pain The Doctor is left with.
This leads me to the four episodes that followed. It's interesting that without a companion The Doctor seems to act more human than I've ever seen him, most notably at the finale of 'The End of Time', where he doesn't want to 'die' and regenerate. I love him all the more for it. I like that the theme of mortality is touched upon in that way. I am very sad that Tennant's run as the Tenth Doctor is over as I'm quite fond of him. I thought he was absolutely brilliant (both the character and the actor) and I'm going to miss him, but I'm excited for series 5 because I can already tell I'm going to like the Eleventh Doctor.

As far as Torchwood goes, I'm looking foward to the new series. The premise of everyone gaining immortality is quite compelling, especially considering all that Jack has had to suffer through because of his own immortality. I really like how this show explores the Fridge Horror (thanks TV Tropes) of being unable to die. Imagine how different individuals will react to their predicament.

One can only hope that those people are very, very young and will grow up. Or find professional help.

See, this is one of the reasons why I don't join forums for TV shows. Ever. I simply will not tolorate such behavior (goodness, I sound like a strict school teacher now xD). I can understand being invested in characters, but some people just need to get a reality check and move on. People like that disgust me and I find it hard to pity them.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 04:18:54 pm »

Wow, you're fast. ^___^
I absolutely LOVED Donna and Ten. They were fun and sweet and heartbreaking. And I loved how he called her his best friend in "The End of Time."
And yes, Donnas fate was so sad. I kept hoping she would at least find Lee again... but well, I guess she and her husband do love each other. XD

What were your favourite episodes? Exclusing the special episodes (or... well if you want, include them)?
Mine were Silence in the Library/Forest of the Death and The Stolen Earth.
I don't think there was an episode I disliked.

Catherine Tate and David Tennant seem to be really good friends in real life. And now this: http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com/2011/01/dwn080111120008-tennant-and-tate-in.html  
-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRlbahoB63A&feature=player_embedded This is one of the reasons why I sometimes think I should live in England. u_u

And that was before season 4 of DW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB6K-2A

See, this is one of the reasons why I don't join forums for TV shows. Ever. I simply will not tolorate such behavior (goodness, I sound like a strict school teacher now xD). I can understand being invested in characters, but some people just need to get a reality check and move on. People like that disgust me and I find it hard to pity them.

Every time I see someone begging for votes for Supernatural on some poll, I'm kinda hoping the other series wins (or actually vote against it) because fandom is UNBEARABLE when they win something. And well... while I enjoy it (or at least until last season... show and I are in the process of breaking up), I don't think it is or ever was TEH BEST THINK EVAR!!1!11
Saddest thing is, that these people are not 12. Or at least not all of them are- most of them are actually either around 16 or my age and older. u_u
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:14:07 pm by Aziraphale » Logged

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 04:05:47 am »

I think the most tragic aspect of Donna's destiny was that all had been nulled out what she had accomplished in personal development. In this one season she went quite a far way from her loudmouthed self who didn't think herself worth anything and only wanted a husband. At least, the one she finally got seemed a decent fellow. I've only seen the Tennant finale once, but I think I remember that he cared for her, so that he's good for her. The lottery money might help, so maybe this Donna might find her personal strength again without the Doctor.

I also always kept away from the forums, but sometimes I'm just too nosey. But, as I said, I try to keep a low profile. Fighting online makes me as sick as fighting for real. Especially if it is for nothing.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 03:46:01 pm »

Hm, someone at an other forum had an interesting idea:

It does remind me of an old Celtic legend, from the oral storytelling tradition where Death sleeps for three days once every thousand years, but, upon waking, tarries three days too long in the house of the maiden who watched over him as he slept. In the end, she sacrifices herself to end the chaos and get Death back to work.

It's been used a lot before now as inspiration for stories from Death's Door to Death Takes a Holiday, but the 'six days' thing gets me thinking that Davies may be primarily inspired by the original legend.

It lacks the aliens though.

And the new character descriptions are out: http://www.torchwoodonline.com/torchwood-miracle-day-revealed/
(Why am I most interested in the villain? ö.ö)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:53:11 pm by Aziraphale » Logged

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 11:05:25 am »

It lacks the aliens though.

DW always was quite good a giving us stories from old legends, which turned out to be just aliens, like the vampires, the witches, etc.

(Why am I most interested in the villain? ö.ö)

I'm still wondering if someone watched too much "Prison Break" while creating him, because this charming murderer reminds me on T-Bag from that show who was much too likeable for someone like him. Dangerously so.
But as Pullman is the highest class actor in that cast and this is quite an untypical role for him, it will surely be interesting.

BTW, did you just say you were INTERESTED in TW4? Gotcha!  Grin
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 11:11:28 am »

BTW, did you just say you were INTERESTED in TW4? Gotcha!  Grin

Oddly enough I want to know how Jacks reacts to everybody being immortal... other than that it's pretty much just the villain... I love me a good villain... *mumble*

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: