Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternate points of view  (Read 5316 times)
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« on: October 19, 2010, 01:52:11 pm »

Ohohoho I'm in your forum, duplicating your threads... *cough*

I just didn't want to use the Burndive thread for Cagebird-stuff.

I love Yuri as narrator. Who would have thought one can learn to love a pirate after seeing what they did to Jos and Evan? And yet I loved Yuri from page one. It would be interesting to be in Finchs head sometimes, though. Like the moment where he tells Yuri he never said Yuri was a whore. Or when he said he couldn't go and stay on Austro.
But especially the time on Macedon. Meeting Cairo and Dorr should've been interesting and I would like to know what he told them about (him and) Yuri. And especially how they reacted to the news that Cal wanted to destroy Archangel.

And since I'm a sucker for drama, the destruction of Archangel itself. I only care(d) about Rick, he survived, so I would love to read about it. (I love drama and heartbreak as long as I know my favs are going to be okay. XD) The reactions from the crew of Macedon couldn't have been pretty- despite their professionalism- since probably everyone lost someone they were friends with... watching your sistership blow up? Ouch.

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 06:23:07 pm »

Ohohoho I'm in your forum, duplicating your threads... *cough*

I just didn't want to use the Burndive thread for Cagebird-stuff.

I love Yuri as narrator. Who would have thought one can learn to love a pirate after seeing what they did to Jos and Evan? And yet I loved Yuri from page one. It would be interesting to be in Finchs head sometimes, though. Like the moment where he tells Yuri he never said Yuri was a whore. Or when he said he couldn't go and stay on Austro.
But especially the time on Macedon. Meeting Cairo and Dorr should've been interesting and I would like to know what he told them about (him and) Yuri. And especially how they reacted to the news that Cal wanted to destroy Archangel.

And since I'm a sucker for drama, the destruction of Archangel itself. I only care(d) about Rick, he survived, so I would love to read about it. (I love drama and heartbreak as long as I know my favs are going to be okay. XD) The reactions from the crew of Macedon couldn't have been pretty- despite their professionalism- since probably everyone lost someone they were friends with... watching your sistership blow up? Ouch.

Finch's POV in some scenes, like when he's over on Macedon, will definitely be an omake. I would love to use the omake to tell more of his story because I think for some people he came off kind of slim in Cagebird, which wasn't my intention. I always knew what was going through his head in those scenes where Yuri is provoking him or confounded by him. He's kind of a Jos-character, in that he's pretty quiet ... I would say even quieter than Jos as a person. But he's got an iron spirit and I'd like to show that more.

The destruction of Archangel was planned to be in SOLJET, Rick's book. Not as a flashback per se...either chronologically (I toyed with the idea of beginning with its destruction to echo Warchild) or in flashes as Rick's story unfolds in real time.

TabulaRasa
Ka'redan

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 07:04:03 pm »

The echoing of the beginning of Warchild would be awesome (though I'd be good with either).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 09:06:32 pm by TabulaRasa » Logged
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 05:24:41 pm »

Aaaaw Jos and Finch could sit around and be silent while looking pretty (that is, if Jos doesn't lump Finch into the same category as Yuri...). Cleary could join them, too. Evan and Yuri could stare at them from the other side of the room.... Hurhurhur.

The destruction of Archangel was planned to be in SOLJET, Rick's book. Not as a flashback per se...either chronologically (I toyed with the idea of beginning with its destruction to echo Warchild) or in flashes as Rick's story unfolds in real time.

*SIGH* The more I read about SOLJET the more I want to bash my head against a wall, because it gives me craaaaavings. *sits in a mountain of pillows and stares crazy*

(Don't take me too serious, I think 'chronical lack of sleep' has done something to my brain.  Huh)

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
magda
Ritlua

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 01:19:33 am »

I start the trilogy with Cagebird by accident. I would never picked Warchild otherwise because I am not into the war novels

Impressed by the description of refugee camp in Cagebird. Although I never lived it one spending my childhood in communist Romania and then after revolution in 89 my teenage years in the turmoil and chaos of the transition period, so I do have kind of similar experience. Not as intense as in Cagebird.
 Although the revolution only lasted 3 days in my country of origin and I was only 12 years I do remember the shooting and terror. The best part was when Yuri and his family receive some aid from some charity organization (sorry I do not have the book and read it 1 year ago)  and Yuri thinks "Like I am supposed to be grateful for that" ( for me that was like the best sentence in the all book because it expressed the exact feeling I had when my family receive aid after revolution: there were some second hand clothes and some tins of food But to be fair the persons which distributed the aid kept the best thing for themselves and we only got the dregs of the barrel. Anyway the whole experience was kind of amusing for me  I do believe that charity organization are doing a great job and do provide relief for  the one in need and I now donate clothes and books to Oxfam and other charity shops but I a bit ambivalent about all this.

Also imagining Colonial Grace did not require a lot of effort of imagination because I just remember the neighbourhood I lived in from 10 till about 14.
I can understand why Yuri was eager to get out of that s...t hole but I cannot fully sympathize with the character and the things he had done.
His relationship with Estienne made me cringe.
Also Yuri gives up to easily on his family and BoSheng. I know after a couple of weeks on Falcone BoSheng and Yuri meet and BoSheng tell him that he want to leave the ship and after that the contact just broke off for 3 years, Yuri give up to easily on his friend. They put them on different part of the ship and different shifts but I am sure that a guy as resourceful as Yuri would have found a way to meet his friend if he wanted to.

Falcone remind me of AL Capone and I do not know it that choice of name was international)
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:57:38 pm »

I start the trilogy with Cagebird by accident. I would never picked Warchild otherwise because I am not into the war novels

Impressed by the description of refugee camp in Cagebird. Although I never lived it one spending my childhood in communist Romania and then after revolution in 89 my teenage years in the turmoil and chaos of the transition period, so I do have kind of similar experience. Not as intense as in Cagebird.
 Although the revolution only lasted 3 days in my country of origin and I was only 12 years I do remember the shooting and terror. The best part was when Yuri and his family receive some aid from some charity organization (sorry I do not have the book and read it 1 year ago)  and Yuri thinks "Like I am supposed to be grateful for that" ( for me that was like the best sentence in the all book because it expressed the exact feeling I had when my family receive aid after revolution: there were some second hand clothes and some tins of food But to be fair the persons which distributed the aid kept the best thing for themselves and we only got the dregs of the barrel. Anyway the whole experience was kind of amusing for me  I do believe that charity organization are doing a great job and do provide relief for  the one in need and I now donate clothes and books to Oxfam and other charity shops but I a bit ambivalent about all this.

Also imagining Colonial Grace did not require a lot of effort of imagination because I just remember the neighbourhood I lived in from 10 till about 14.
I can understand why Yuri was eager to get out of that s...t hole but I cannot fully sympathize with the character and the things he had done.
His relationship with Estienne made me cringe.
Also Yuri gives up to easily on his family and BoSheng. I know after a couple of weeks on Falcone BoSheng and Yuri meet and BoSheng tell him that he want to leave the ship and after that the contact just broke off for 3 years, Yuri give up to easily on his friend. They put them on different part of the ship and different shifts but I am sure that a guy as resourceful as Yuri would have found a way to meet his friend if he wanted to.

Falcone remind me of AL Capone and I do not know it that choice of name was international)

Thank you so much for offering your thoughts... interestingly enough, I based some of the pirate methods quite directly on what I'd read about how street children were recruited in places like Romania.

Yuri was still a child, remember. I think his giving up on Bo-Sheng was pretty natural for a kid that age who was being manipulated on all sides by adults with their own agendas.

The Al Capone ref definitely was NOT intentional LOL

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: