Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Warchild Questions  (Read 14881 times)
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 09:44:22 pm »

Otter's answer is better than I can ever do. I was definitely conscious that people like Cairo who spend most of their lives on ships going through jumps and traveling close to FTL are in appearance very young. He looks like Ryan's older brother instead of a father, which is just one of the things that is a little disconcerting for Ryan. But not VERY because people who don't travel in space (like his mom) had suspended aging treatments, so to me the culture just kind of accepts that appearances can be deceiving. But it's still a little strange, like at the end of Warchild where the official kind of just looked past Cairo because he didn't relate a young man with the captain of a big warship, that's been around as long as he has. How people view it varies depending on their backgrounds but culturally it's just...there. And yeah people can live pretty long. Especially deep spacers who travel a lot. Chronologically they live 'long'.

Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 06:39:16 am »

I had totally forgotten that I asked that question. Thanky so much for answering Otter and Karin!

I'm actually re-reading Warchild right now so maybe I'll ask more questions in a few days. Reading a favourite book is really like coming home in some way. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside even with a quite 'dark' book like this.

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 07:26:57 pm »

not a problem!

and I am too actually - I just needed something..familiar that I could lose myself in and simply enjoy.  The plot, but also 'reuniting' with the characters, if you will.  I had missed Dorr's wit this time around haha

Even though this is my billionth read, here's a question: Did Jos have a thing for Aki at all?  I had always just answered that for myself as "no," but  I notice he references her the most, second only to Evan (which goes without saying), when he is in deeply stressful or emotional settings.  The one example that comes to mind is after his confessions to Falcone on the Khan, Jos singles her out by saying how he couldn't meet her eyes. I understand she had tried to reach out to him ever since there first shift, always trying to be there for him, so that interest is apparent; I was just curious if it went both ways, however slight Jos' may be.

Yes, we are part of this universe.  We are in this universe.  But perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the universe is in us.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 10:55:18 pm »

not a problem!

and I am too actually - I just needed something..familiar that I could lose myself in and simply enjoy.  The plot, but also 'reuniting' with the characters, if you will.  I had missed Dorr's wit this time around haha

Even though this is my billionth read, here's a question: Did Jos have a thing for Aki at all?  I had always just answered that for myself as "no," but  I notice he references her the most, second only to Evan (which goes without saying), when he is in deeply stressful or emotional settings.  The one example that comes to mind is after his confessions to Falcone on the Khan, Jos singles her out by saying how he couldn't meet her eyes. I understand she had tried to reach out to him ever since there first shift, always trying to be there for him, so that interest is apparent; I was just curious if it went both ways, however slight Jos' may be.

I always thought that had Jos not been mired in trauma, he would've responded to Aki. I don't rule it out in the future when he's older and a little more healed, because I think there's honest interest even if it's waaaaaay buried or in infant stages. I don't feel it would be a 'true love' scenario but I can see it being companionship in some way.

Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 05:44:47 pm »

Finished with my re-read. I had so much fun. Cheesy

Okay, there was a scene where Jos wonders about Clearys parents, because the fact that they're both alive doesn't fit into Errets theory that the crew consists of people with broken families/orphans ect. hey Rick fits right in now!, but before he can ask about them or why Cleary is on Mac, he's called away. So, is there something 'special' about Clearys parents (well, except being alive)?

Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 07:08:40 pm »

I always thought that had Jos not been mired in trauma, he would've responded to Aki. I don't rule it out in the future when he's older and a little more healed, because I think there's honest interest even if it's waaaaaay buried or in infant stages. I don't feel it would be a 'true love' scenario but I can see it being companionship in some way.

I could definitely see that.  Now that he has a purpose besides shooting what he must, and his "job" assigned by Niko is done, he can settle and finally be in a place that makes sense to him.  Maybe not a sense of 'home,' maybe never, but in Burndive, with the negotiations finally under way, he seems comfortable for the first time.  He has Mukudori, he has Niko, and he has the respect and care of the captain, who he admires a great deal. With that being said, I could see him eventually opening up and forming companionships, namely with Aki.  I don't think I could picture him ever in love, as you say, simply because of the trauma he has gone through.

Az, if I remember right, I believe Cleary says that his dad, or both of his parents, served on Macedon before Azarcon's captaincy.  So it became a sort-of tradition for him to follow in his parents footsteps, as they have legacy on the ship.  I'm sure he was a shoe-in on that fact alone, even if he's not a child of unfortunate circumstances

Yes, we are part of this universe.  We are in this universe.  But perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the universe is in us.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 07:34:27 pm »

Az, if I remember right, I believe Cleary says that his dad, or both of his parents, served on Macedon before Azarcon's captaincy.  So it became a sort-of tradition for him to follow in his parents footsteps, as they have legacy on the ship.  I'm sure he was a shoe-in on that fact alone, even if he's not a child of unfortunate circumstances

Huh. Have I really read over that fact all the time? o_O Bad brain!

Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 07:45:04 pm »

Haha no worries  Wink

Page 252:
Jos: Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't seem the type that would want on a ship like
Macedon
Cleary: My dad served her previous captain.  It's kind of tradition.

Don't beat yourself up - one of my first posts back on the old site was me raving about how I thought it was awesome that Cleary's dad was the old captain before Cairo!!  I quickly replied under it correcting myself, embarrassed to no end Tongue

Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 03:50:05 am »

Don't beat yourself up - one of my first posts back on the old site was me raving about how I thought it was awesome that Cleary's dad was the old captain before Cairo!!  I quickly replied under it correcting myself, embarrassed to no end Tongue

The weird thing is... I actually remember Jos asking that question, but not Clearys answer. Mystery.~
Anyway, thanks for answering!

Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 11:43:42 am »

Thanks for answering that, Otter!

Yeah not EVERY crewmember is from a broken family, it's just that Cairo makes it a point to mainly recruit the detritus...but naturally some of them are either legacy crew or from other ships or career military...all sorts of things. Smiley

And yeah, I'm thinking maybe a few years down the line, Jos will be ready for some kind of relationship...maybe. I'd have to write it and see.

Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 02:39:38 pm »

Yeah not EVERY crewmember is from a broken family, it's just that Cairo makes it a point to mainly recruit the detritus...but naturally some of them are either legacy crew or from other ships or career military...all sorts of things.

That brings to mind Nathan, who was simply a pilot making the transfer onto Mac.

Another question that I always forget to ask: When Jos is describing his learning of Ki'hade, he mentions that he had to use the right inflections, otherwise the same word could mean 'war' or 'one.'  Did using 'war' and 'one' together like that have any significance, allusion, or foreshadowing of any kind, or were those just two words picked for the example?  Maybe I'm reading into it too much haha, but I just figured I'd ask since those two words have quite a meaning in the book.

Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 07:42:46 am »

The 'war' and 'one' was on purpose ... because, if I remember correctly, it made sense for the Nan'hade strivs to equate that when they see conflict as a way to reach your highest na. I think that was my thinking but I'd have to re-read the full passage again.

Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 10:21:53 pm »

Ok, I believe I follow.  Thanks for the answer.  I just perused the stiviirc-na wiki, and it seems for all four types of -na, physical, emotional, societal, and spiritual, one cannot find their -na in each without conflict of some kind.  War, then, is not just in the physical, combative sense.  If I comprehended all that correctly, I can see how/why the two words are so tightly linked.  That makes so much more sense now, thank you!

Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 10:25:23 pm »

Ok, I believe I follow.  Thanks for the answer.  I just perused the stiviirc-na wiki, and it seems for all four types of -na, physical, emotional, societal, and spiritual, one cannot find their -na in each without conflict of some kind.  War, then, is not just in the physical, combative sense.  If I comprehended all that correctly, I can see how/why the two words are so tightly linked.  That makes so much more sense now, thank you!

You're welcome! And yes, their concept of 'war' isn't just physical at all. Or between nations/groups of people. There's the war within the self and more existential concepts of it.

greenglassroom
Ritlua

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 09:09:58 am »

Sorry if any of this has been addressed before, but I came up with a few questions while I was flipping through Warchild last night. I landed on the part where the jets have been taken aboard the Khan and find out that Jos was a spy. While their reactions were understandable, I have to wonder what the aftermath was like with Jos staying on the Mac? They pretty much left him to die, Aki included - he might not have made it off the Khan if not for Evan. By Burndive everyone is getting along again, and Aki's getting into fights to stick up for Jos. I wondered what the interim must have been like. Did any of the jets apologize to Jos for how they reacted, or did Jos just let it slide without holding any kind of grudge? I'm really curious as to what life was on like on Mac between Warchild and Burndive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: