Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Warchild Questions  (Read 14890 times)
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« on: October 19, 2010, 10:40:03 am »

I figured a Random Question Thread like the ones for Burndive and Cagebird wouldn't hurt.  Wink

In the old forum, someone asked how Macedon actually looks like and gave three examples. Unfortunatly the link with the picture said to be closest to Mac doesn't work anymore. Does anyone remember? @_@

I always imagine her looking a little bit like the Daedalus from Stargate Atlantis from the outside... ( http://www.sg-soc.com/Images/Daedalus_in_orbit.jpg )

Edit: Aaaaah just read the 'How do you envision...' thread. __~
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 04:37:21 pm by Aziraphale » Logged

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 06:12:55 pm »

The Daedalus isn't bad but Macedon is bigger and without the side bays quite like that. Smiley

Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 02:50:45 pm »

Hm, today I thoght about the aging process in the Warchild universe. Planet/Deep Space time difference aside... how old can people get? Most of the people seem younger. Some because of being on a ship (Cairo), some because of aging treatment (Songlian) and some because of (probably) both (Falcone)... but that just make them *appear* younger. Or are the Deep Spacers younger because of it, as in their cells regenerate more often or slower or...I don't know? (I fail at biology and I've got a cold... lethal combination. XP) Is it normal getting older than 100 (if you're not a soldier or something)?

hedgethorn
Ritlua

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 02:58:05 am »

I've always been pretty curious about just how autonomous the ka'redane are, in the course of their work. I mean, obviously, the one time we see Niko doing his official job, it's with his brother, and he doesn't have any choice. It's a pretty serious no-no that Ash did there. But what about in terms of more 'normal' occurences? Would they need to check in, give a status report or something?

I just got to thinking about it, and especially with the mentions of the caste-wars in their history, their position in society could be very prone to being abused. Unless they're psychologically screened or something? XD

Totally off topic- it's makes me ridiculously gleeful to see another SGA fan here! The Daedalus was my first thought, too.
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 03:44:48 pm »

I've always been pretty curious about just how autonomous the ka'redane are, in the course of their work. I mean, obviously, the one time we see Niko doing his official job, it's with his brother, and he doesn't have any choice. It's a pretty serious no-no that Ash did there. But what about in terms of more 'normal' occurences? Would they need to check in, give a status report or something?

I just got to thinking about it, and especially with the mentions of the caste-wars in their history, their position in society could be very prone to being abused. Unless they're psychologically screened or something? XD

Welcome to the board Hedgethorn! Sorry it took a bit to get back to you...

The ka'redane do have an order to things. I think Jos talked about it in the striv sections. They have to get authorization from the Caste Master before doing something as severe as a killing. Except if you're Niko and pretty  much  the admiral of the fleet - he didn't need authorization to enact justice on Ash. And killings are an extreme. The position can be very prone to abuse, that's why they need a Caste Master that has integrity and a sense of fairness, and those that weren't ... well ... it contributed to the internal wars.

hedgethorn
Ritlua

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 12:02:47 am »

Whoops, he probably did. Someone else has my copy right now so I can't reference anything. And the holidays have fried my memory.

So what happens when someone is guilty of a less serious crime, not something worthy of capitol punishment? I remember Niko's ship had a brig, so the concept of containment isn't a foreign one to them, but their ethics/belief system is so different that I don't wanna assume they toss people in jail like many Earth cultures do.

Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 11:13:08 pm »

This is going slightly off the path of this thread at the moment, but it is for random questions, so:

I was reading through certain sections of Warchild again and I wondered, if the striv ships hadn't come for the Khan in the end, and if the Mac hadn't managed to catch up- essentially, if the jets had ended up stranded there, on the Khan- what would Falcone have done with Jos when he was done questioning him? Would he have tried to reform him back to being piratey? Or would he have just killed him?

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 07:52:09 am »

I re-read some parts for my new fanart and two questions popped up:

1.) Jos observes that Erret has a second tatoo on his right (?) biceps. What kind of tatoo?

2.) What was on the patch from/What kind of tatoo had the jets from Wesakechak/K-Jack? (Huh, I really hope I spelled that on right...)

Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 10:19:56 am »

This is going slightly off the path of this thread at the moment, but it is for random questions, so:

I was reading through certain sections of Warchild again and I wondered, if the striv ships hadn't come for the Khan in the end, and if the Mac hadn't managed to catch up- essentially, if the jets had ended up stranded there, on the Khan- what would Falcone have done with Jos when he was done questioning him? Would he have tried to reform him back to being piratey? Or would he have just killed him?

he would've probably ended up killing him, because can you see Jos ever conforming to Falcone? it would be impossible. Smiley

Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 10:26:24 am »

I re-read some parts for my new fanart and two questions popped up:

1.) Jos observes that Erret has a second tatoo on his right (?) biceps. What kind of tatoo?

2.) What was on the patch from/What kind of tatoo had the jets from Wesakechak/K-Jack? (Huh, I really hope I spelled that on right...)

1. Ummm...let me relook at that and see what I mentioned Erret had... oh! Yeah that's a tattoo of his parents' ship. They were Rim Guardians and their ship was the Aegis. I believe the tattoo was a shield with like spears crossed behind it or something. I have it in my notes but I can't remember specifically.

2. Here is where the name Wesakechak comes from:

Wesakechak (also spelled Wisakecahk, Wisakechak, Wesakaychak, Wisakedjak, Weesageechak, Wissaketchak, Whiskey-Jack, and several other ways.) Wesakechak is the benevolent culture hero of the Cree tribe (sometimes referred to as a "transformer" by folklorists.) His name is spelled so many different ways partially because Cree was originally an unwritten language (so English speakers just spelled it however it sounded to them at the time), and partially because the Cree language is spoken across a huge geographical range in both Canada and the US, and the name sounds different in different dialects. The correct pronounciation in Plains Cree is similar to wee-sah-keh-chahk.

Wesakechak is a trickster character whose adventures are often humorous, but unlike Plains Indian tricksters he is portrayed as a staunch friend of humankind, not a dangerous or destructive being. Wesakechak shares many similarities with other Algonquian heroes such as the Wabanaki Glooskap, Blackfoot Napi, and Anishinabe Manabozho, and the same stories are often told in different Algonquian tribes with only the identity of the protagonist differing.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisakedjak (and in that article you can see why they were nicknamed K-Jack)

I imagine the symbol to be something of Cree origin. Smiley I didn't have a tat specifically worked out, to be honest.

MukiMichael
Ritlua

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 04:33:49 am »

I have a strange attachment to these characters as I was about the age of many of them when I enlisted in the Canadian Army Reserve and read the book throughout my training. One thing that has stuck out to me is how youth becomes a casualty of soldiers. How much research went into the psychology of troops, especially the young ones?
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 01:27:29 pm »

I have a strange attachment to these characters as I was about the age of many of them when I enlisted in the Canadian Army Reserve and read the book throughout my training. One thing that has stuck out to me is how youth becomes a casualty of soldiers. How much research went into the psychology of troops, especially the young ones?

I've been interested in the psychological impact of war on soldiers since high school, and my focus tended toward journals and letters from soldiers from wars like WWII all the way to the first Gulf War (which was the most recent when I was researching Warchild). Those were the most honest to me, unfiltered points of view. One of those books was Dear America: Letters Home From Vietnam. I think I probably cried reading some of those entries. I also did some reading/watching documentaries on boy soldiers - so not in organized warfare to that extent. All of that went into writing my books, either consciously or unconsciously.

Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 05:11:16 am »

I've read a lot of books on war (go figure), mostly first person non-fiction accounts, there are a lot of good ones out there. The  best one that I've found, personally, just in terms of the perspective is The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell by John Crawford. I recommend it. 

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 03:47:29 pm »

I've read a lot of books on war (go figure), mostly first person non-fiction accounts, there are a lot of good ones out there. The  best one that I've found, personally, just in terms of the perspective is The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell by John Crawford. I recommend it. 

Thanks for this! I'm marking it down. Memoirs and first person accounts were by and large my inspiration for Warchild's narrative and how it was told. I've always been more interested in those than in general history books.

Otter
Ritlua

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 02:42:14 pm »

Hm, today I thoght about the aging process in the Warchild universe. Planet/Deep Space time difference aside... how old can people get? Most of the people seem younger. Some because of being on a ship (Cairo), some because of aging treatment (Songlian) and some because of (probably) both (Falcone)... but that just make them *appear* younger. Or are the Deep Spacers younger because of it, as in their cells regenerate more often or slower or...I don't know? (I fail at biology and I've got a cold... lethal combination. XP) Is it normal getting older than 100 (if you're not a soldier or something)?

I saw that these questions were never answered for you, so I hope I can provide a little info!  The main reason all the deep space characters are young is due to time dilation from consistent travel at extreme velocities on the ships (namely jumps too).  This is a phenomenon proven by Albert Einstein, basically saying that, time slows down the closer you approach the speed of light.  The general example goes as: should one twin leave its sibling on Earth and travel on a ship near the speed of light for a year, when this twin returns he/she will be much younger than their sibling.  This is also called the Twin Paradox. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox So, in the case of the Warchild Universe, the characters are chronologically much older than they really are.  In other words, they may have been physically been alive for 25 years, but biologically aged only 19.

There is an equation that proves this aspect of Einstein's relativity, but here is a video showing the photon/mirror example that I believe demonstrates time dilation well to the non-physicists. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHjpBjgIMVk&feature=player_embedded

I'll let Karin answer for the peoples' true lifespans, as it is her universe, but this is just some insight on one reason people are so young and live longer.  I would assume 100 would easily be surpassed (harder so in wartime) through space travel (time dilation), better healthcare, and suspended age treatments.  I will say though, that should a spacer constantly travel at such high speeds, their longevity could increase indefinitely.

Yes, we are part of this universe.  We are in this universe.  But perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the universe is in us.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: