Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: INTERVIEW: CLARKESWORLD  (Read 4755 times)
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« on: September 01, 2010, 07:18:04 pm »

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/lowachee_interview/

New interview with the good folks over at Clarkesworld Magazine. They also publish some great short fiction. Check it out!

Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 03:11:16 pm »

I really liked this interview. I feel that it really gets to the heart of a few matters that I feel had only previously been touched upon, especially concerning The Gaslight Dogs. In fact, this is probably one of the best author interviews I've read in a long time.

On another note, that is a very flattering picture. You look gorgeous. Smiley Not that I've seen any unflattering pictures of you, since I really haven't seen very many pictures of you in general.
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 10:26:09 am »

I really liked this interview. I feel that it really gets to the heart of a few matters that I feel had only previously been touched upon, especially concerning The Gaslight Dogs. In fact, this is probably one of the best author interviews I've read in a long time.

On another note, that is a very flattering picture. You look gorgeous. Smiley Not that I've seen any unflattering pictures of you, since I really haven't seen very many pictures of you in general.

Thanks girl! He asked some really great questions. The interview in Beyond Victoriana was also really good, if you haven't seen that. They're very astute readers but that's no surprise. Intelligent people!

Haha, I keep it that way. I'm a writer, not an actor. My face doesn't need to be all over the damn internet. Wink

Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 02:40:28 pm »

Aaaaw it's a very good interview with interesting questions.

"I have to say, though, that without the right character(s), I have no interest in a book. A cool idea or untangling a clever plot won't propel me to write for 400 pages. I have to be intensely interested in the people and their lives."

So much YES to this. If the characters are not engaging, I've no interest reading a book. The characters are the heart of the story... it's much easier to love a story with a week plot if the characters are lovable (or in some cases if you love to hate the villain) as a story with a great plot and a wonderfull structured world if the characters are ALL unlikeable or worse: bland. If one/some/all main character(s) die(s) and the reader just doesn't care you do something wrong (when the reader hated the character so he should be at least glad he's dead or something). That's one thing I really love about your books: the characters. They're so... alive to me. They're like my friends. I feel with them and for them. Through their eyes I learn about their world. Not every (perhaps nonrelevant?) detail about the politics or so, but enough to understand it.. and with every book there is a piece of a puzzle more and I really like that.

"What's next for you?

Only the gods know. That's not me being coy either. I'm working on some things but whether they'll be put on the shelves is another matter altogether."

... So, where do I have to send my special cookies to?

I wanted to leave a small comment on the side there too but I feel so uncomfortable giving my e-mail adress away... even if they don't use it. Aaargh I'm a wuss... perhaps I'll do it later...

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 01:03:08 pm »

Aaaaw it's a very good interview with interesting questions.

"I have to say, though, that without the right character(s), I have no interest in a book. A cool idea or untangling a clever plot won't propel me to write for 400 pages. I have to be intensely interested in the people and their lives."

So much YES to this. If the characters are not engaging, I've no interest reading a book. The characters are the heart of the story... it's much easier to love a story with a week plot if the characters are lovable (or in some cases if you love to hate the villain) as a story with a great plot and a wonderfull structured world if the characters are ALL unlikeable or worse: bland. If one/some/all main character(s) die(s) and the reader just doesn't care you do something wrong (when the reader hated the character so he should be at least glad he's dead or something). That's one thing I really love about your books: the characters. They're so... alive to me. They're like my friends. I feel with them and for them. Through their eyes I learn about their world. Not every (perhaps nonrelevant?) detail about the politics or so, but enough to understand it.. and with every book there is a piece of a puzzle more and I really like that.

"What's next for you?

Only the gods know. That's not me being coy either. I'm working on some things but whether they'll be put on the shelves is another matter altogether."

... So, where do I have to send my special cookies to?

I wanted to leave a small comment on the side there too but I feel so uncomfortable giving my e-mail adress away... even if they don't use it. Aaargh I'm a wuss... perhaps I'll do it later...

I'm afraid the only special cookies that might make a difference are book sales. Sad The NYT review seems to have boosted the Amazon sales but that's the only way I can tell.

Thanks so much for the comments, Az. And for reading it! <3

Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 08:11:26 am »

You're welcome. I love good interviews. Wink

I'm afraid the only special cookies that might make a difference are book sales. Sad The NYT review seems to have boosted the Amazon sales but that's the only way I can tell.

Aaaaw... I would love to buy them again cause I actually have second hand versions...  So I planned to give my books to a friend and to buy new ones but 20 (each) is too much at the moment. *sad*
So I hope that many more people buy them. I mean... they really should.
I actually don't know how the book-market-thingie across the sea works so I will just be waiting while looking confused. @___@ (The only times a book-series I loved stopped because a.) The author said three books where enough (and the end was awesome so I wont complain) or b.) The author died suddenly (this actually happened two times) and... ah and with manga there is often the 'the author just doesn't bother anymore'-thing o_O)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:32:27 am by Aziraphale » Logged

Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 03:20:46 pm »

You're welcome. I love good interviews. Wink

Aaaaw... I would love to buy them again cause I actually have second hand versions...  So I planned to give my books to a friend and to buy new ones but 20 (each) is too much at the moment. *sad*
So I hope that many more people buy them. I mean... they really should.
I actually don't know how the book-market-thingie across the sea works so I will just be waiting while looking confused. @___@ (The only times a book-series I loved stopped because a.) The author said three books where enough (and the end was awesome so I wont complain) or b.) The author died suddenly (this actually happened two times) and... ah and with manga there is often the 'the author just doesn't bother anymore'-thing o_O)

The book market sitch for authors like me is dicey at best, that's it in a nutshell I'm afraid. But I really love and appreciate all of my readers. The ones from overseas that tend to have to really hunt for my work - I can't believe how passionate you guys are. Much loves!

TabulaRasa
Ka'redan

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 02:21:26 pm »

Now I'm feeling guilty for buying used copies.  They're just so much cheaper when they're used.
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 01:36:07 pm »

Now I'm feeling guilty for buying used copies.  They're just so much cheaper when they're used.

It's okay <3

Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 02:32:51 pm »

Since I've no understanding of the book-market outside Europe whatsoever, I'm a  little interested how the whole thing works.
In Germany, we have the Fixed Book Price Agreement and only after the publisher decides to lift (not really shure if it's the right word) the price, the bookshops/wholesaler are allowed to reduce the price. Before then, if the book costs 10 in one shop, it will cost 10 in *every* shop.
To cut a long story short: normally, it a book goes out of print, the price will usually be reduced... but when I look at Amazon (both .com and .de) the Warchild Unicerse books are actually way more expensive than what it says on the back of my books. Why? I mean *we* know they're totally worth it... but what about potential new (short of money) readers? Hell, the last hardcover book I bought was cheaper... (I usually don't buy hardcover cause they're expensive ;__;... I rather have two-three more paperbacks, than one hardcover) Or is that normal? Like I said: no idea how it works.

Ah well... I will probably buy three new ones in the course of the next half year nevertheless, so that my best friend can have my old ones...

And yes, I'm totally off topic. Cookie? ^__^

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: