Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Biggest emotional "gutpunch"/shock in the novel  (Read 7942 times)
MukiMichael
Ritlua

« on: April 28, 2010, 01:08:22 am »

I know the children aboard the Khan during Jos' childhood was disturbing, but for me the biggest shock was Iraxte's death during the attack on the Mac.

What would your's be?
grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:11:50 am »

I think that would be Jos meeting Falcone the second time, when he and the jets get captured by the Khan.
A close second would be Kris' death.
eternaleponine
Quartermaster
Ritlua

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 03:41:13 pm »

Evan turning up again with the prisoners from Shiva. 
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 06:37:11 pm »

Both Evan's reappearance and the second confrontation with Falcone. The former was more of a surprise but the latter was definitely an "oh cripes!" moment for me.
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 02:25:48 pm »

I know the children aboard the Khan during Jos' childhood was disturbing, but for me the biggest shock was Iraxte's death during the attack on the Mac.

What would your's be?

I remember writing Iratxe's death and my friend and military adviser saying, after he'd read it, "That's how it happens in real life. You blink and someone's dead." So then I felt okay with doing it that way. Smiley

Aziraphale
Ki'redan

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 02:10:54 pm »

Hm... I think for me it was meeting Evan again. I had a feeling we would perhaps meet him again cause Jos kept remembering him but I totally didn't expect him at that moment...
I expected that someone of Jos camerades would die but after Kris' death I didn't think Iratxe would die, too ....so that was a shock but yes, real life is like that.
One pleasent shock was that Jos decided to stay on Mac. When he was reunited with Niko, a part of me was sad cause somehow I came to love Mac, Azarcon and the jets more then Aaian-na and Niko. I still liked them, but Macedon became 'my home'...
And the second meeting with Falcone was intense.

Then there was this little scene that really got me... it was no dramatic or sad scene or somehting important regarding the big picture: It's the scene where Jos lays his hand over Evans and realizes Evan always wanted to protect him. I don't know why but that scene gave me hope that perhaps Jos would be okay someday.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:20:24 pm by Aziraphale » Logged

I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. No one can prove anything.
Khantael
Ritlua

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 02:21:37 pm »

For me, it was probably after Kris' death, with Jos sort of stumbling around and eventually it just being him and Evan.

And I can't remember if it was then or with Kris, earlier on (in which case it'd be a small scene but meant something to me) when they were having an argument, but the time when Jos observes the scratches on the floor as if somebody had been clawing at it with nails as hard of diamonds (iirc). I dunno, I just felt it said a lot about where he was emotionally.
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 12:48:21 pm »

For me, it was probably after Kris' death, with Jos sort of stumbling around and eventually it just being him and Evan.

And I can't remember if it was then or with Kris, earlier on (in which case it'd be a small scene but meant something to me) when they were having an argument, but the time when Jos observes the scratches on the floor as if somebody had been clawing at it with nails as hard of diamonds (iirc). I dunno, I just felt it said a lot about where he was emotionally.

Yeah that scene was a flashback for him, it was one of the clues for readers who might not have connected the dots yet, of what had happened to him on Genghis Khan. It was when he and Kris got in a scuffle. :/ And it presaged the end of the book too when he was on Genghis Khan again.

Imogen
Ritlua

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 12:08:32 pm »

For me it was Iratxe's death, too. It's weird, because rationally there are more shocking thngs going on, but her death hit me completely unexpectedly, maybe that's why it had the biggest impact.
oisa
Ritlua

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 03:16:28 am »

I was hoping that Captain Azarcon would kill Falcon.  When he didn't I was very disappointed though I understood why.  I nearly screamed with happiness when Jos did it.  Not very civilized or lawful of me but I hate stories that could've been ended but the author kept going, going, and going and going, just for...whatever their reason was, when killing the character would've had more impact or ended that scene/book better.
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 05:02:05 am »

The first time I read Warchild I had to re-read the scene where Jos kills Falcone twice to figure out what had happened. I figured Jos was going to kill Falcone but then the soldiers coming out on Falcone's side on the dock kind of threw me off a bit.

The first time I read the book, though, my biggest surprise was when Jos woke up on Aaian-na. I totally did not see that one coming. I thought the book was going in a different direction. That wasn't really a gutpunch, though. When Jos turns Evan away going back onto the symp ship was probably the biggest gutpunch. Because I didn't see how or why Jos would end up back on Mac at the time and Jos was all Evan really had and it seemed like he was abandoning him. I was like, aww... poor Evan. That was the first time I read it.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 03:51:24 pm »

For me it was Iratxe's death, too. It's weird, because rationally there are more shocking thngs going on, but her death hit me completely unexpectedly, maybe that's why it had the biggest impact.

Yeah the first thing my friend who is in the military said when he read that was "That's exactly how it happens. Someone's beside you and in the next second they're not." And that's exactly what I wanted to convey.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: