Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Landing a reader  (Read 7636 times)
Shaz
Jii-klala
Ritlua

« on: February 23, 2010, 02:44:50 pm »

Once you opened the book, whichever one it was that you read first, what was it that first really grabbed your attention?

Baby Blog: http://thetinyoverlord.blogspot.com/

Science Blog: http://rdascience.blogspot.com/

I am made of the stuff of the stars, and the oceans flow through my veins
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 03:47:52 pm »

I read Warchild first, and what caught my attention was the second-person POV. First of all, I had never read anything in that point of view before so it was new and intriguing to me. Second of all, it was really good second person POV. And in the context of the plot, it made perfect sense. These are not happy memories for Jos, and thus he wants to distance himself from his painful past. Second person POV conveys the need to detach oneself from the story. That first chapter still astounds me whenever I read it.
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 08:02:55 pm »

Strangely, the second person in Warchild originally turned me off, because the only second person I'd ever encountered was in those crappy choose-your-own-adventure books. I checked Warchild out at least four times from the library before I got past that, although clearly something was drawing me into it, as I had checked it out four times. Once I realized that only the first thirty pages or so were like that, I decided to sit down and get through that part... and found that I in fact really, really liked it. I was sold by the beginning of the second part.

Come to think of it, I really want to read Warchild again. It still is my favorite sci-fi out there.

Burndive also took me a bit of time to get into, but that was because Ryan was so different from Jos that it took me a while to see his merits. I eventually grew quite fond of him as well.

Cagebird, though, drew me in from the beginning. I loved it from the first, the 'Despair' quote (I love that poem, a lot...), the little bit on scarlet fever, the way Yuri's internal monologue spoke, and for that matter, how he spoke ('All my thoughts are honest, bitch.'), all of it... except maybe Finch... he took a while to grow on me ... It's my second favorite book. I just am far too fond of Jos for Cagebird to ever win.  Grin

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Inktrap
Ritlua

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 07:16:08 pm »

It was so entirely different than anything I had read. Warchild was very striking. The story begins already in a turning point, with a fast pace. Nonetheless, Jos emotions are there, beneath the action, and there's the narration in second person… Not to mention the sci-fi I wasn't really used to. It wasn't a book I began to read and wondered what would happen. The story was happening already, it was already there and I was felt dragged by surprise into the middle of the conflit, much quite like Jos. Warchild did begin with a "Bang!" for me.
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 09:44:48 am »

Yeah, Inktrap, I also ended up really enjoying the fact that Warchild quite literally began with a 'bang.' People get shot, a ship is killed, and for Jos (and Evan, I suppose) it's the ending of his entire world and the beginning of a new, far more horrible one.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 10:54:25 am »

I agree with both of you. When I first picked up Warchild, I was really into action-packed novels that quickly got to the point. I hadn't even finished the first page and already I was on the edge of my seat. Admittedly, I found the part on Aaian-na a little hard to read the first time because it was much slower paced.
Shaz
Jii-klala
Ritlua

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 11:41:51 pm »

Oh that's my favorite part! I never want to leave the planet, and I'm always dismayed at how short it is.

Baby Blog: http://thetinyoverlord.blogspot.com/

Science Blog: http://rdascience.blogspot.com/

I am made of the stuff of the stars, and the oceans flow through my veins
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 03:27:40 pm »

After reading the book countless times, I've grown to appreciate each part of the book. I still love love love the action but I've also grown to enjoy Jos's time on Aaian-na, partly because I'm so fascinated by the culture.
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 10:18:56 pm »

Hmm... My favorite part of Warchild is easily when Jos is back on the Khan for round two with Falcone, but if you want to span out broader than that, it probably starts when they end up with Evan on the ship and all of Jos's lives start coming back together, the pirate orphan, the assassin-priest and the jet, in a way that he can't stop.

grisel
Corporal
Kii'redan

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 05:13:58 am »

I think what first hooked my was the growing relationship between Jos and Niko, because I love stories about difficult, but more or less loving relationships between men, being father/son, brothers, friends, lovers, mentor/pupil, whatever. And that will be what kept me there, too, because those books are full of strong characters and strong relationships.
Khantael
Ritlua

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 07:15:05 pm »

What first hooked me... well, I thought the second person was refreshing, though I'm not entirely sure I'd count it as the hook that caught me into it. But for me, it was Karin's phrasing... I think it gets better as the book progresses, but it was great to begin with anyway. She has a great way with similes and metaphors; it's not cliched, but because I don't really picture things, she's one of the few authors I think manages to -sound- good, imagery not withstanding. The words work together.
Karin Low
Kia'redan Bae
Global Moderator
Kii'redan

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 02:34:57 pm »

What first hooked me... well, I thought the second person was refreshing, though I'm not entirely sure I'd count it as the hook that caught me into it. But for me, it was Karin's phrasing... I think it gets better as the book progresses, but it was great to begin with anyway. She has a great way with similes and metaphors; it's not cliched, but because I don't really picture things, she's one of the few authors I think manages to -sound- good, imagery not withstanding. The words work together.

Whenever I have a rough day, I'm just going to come in here and read all of you guys' honest thoughts. It's really heartening because frankly I'm not all that fond of my writing on a regular basis. I suppose that dissatisfaction helps me, but it can be trying at times.

Khantael, thank you for saying that too. I really work at language in my writing because I want it to be more than a vessel to deliver the story. I want it to enhance the story and the characters, and I'm fond of style. So this means a lot too!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: