Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Hooking a reader  (Read 10421 times)
Shaz
Jii-klala
Ritlua

« on: February 23, 2010, 02:33:54 pm »

What was it about the Warchild books that first made you pick them up?

Baby Blog: http://thetinyoverlord.blogspot.com/

Science Blog: http://rdascience.blogspot.com/

I am made of the stuff of the stars, and the oceans flow through my veins
Shaz
Jii-klala
Ritlua

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 02:42:05 pm »

I'll admit, for me it was Matt Stanzicki's (I just know I got his last name wrong) artwork. Now that I've read the books, I know what a great job he did of capturing Jos' personality. Hesitant but brave, guarded but willing.

Baby Blog: http://thetinyoverlord.blogspot.com/

Science Blog: http://rdascience.blogspot.com/

I am made of the stuff of the stars, and the oceans flow through my veins
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 03:28:26 pm »

It was the artwork that initially caught my eye, too. I was browsing through the library for science fiction novels and I stumbled across Warchild. I read the back cover and it sounded interesting, so I decided to give it a try. Now that I really think about it, I was about 11 or 12 when I picked up that book. Admittedly, the first reading was hard for me because some of the themes and events went over my head. I had never read such artfully subtle narrative before. The the ending was excellent so I decided to give it another go. When I read it a second time, I paid more attention to detail and took the time to read it carefully. By that time I was already hooked.
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 08:09:27 pm »

I'm sorry, I've always thought that the artwork was pretty terrible. Well, the art isn't bad, just the portraits. They're supposed to be pretty young men, all of them... and they're not on the covers... Besides Jos' face, though, I guess the art was kind of cool. Dark and militant looking... but that is if you can get past Jos' face. It was the name that made me pick it up, though. I browse titles when picking out books, since in libraries they're spine out, not cover out, and I liked the sound of 'Warchild.' Then I read the back and the back sounded nice, so I went with it. Time and a time again. And eventually I actually read it...

I picked up the other two, of course, because I'd already read Warchild and enjoyed it. Actually, I couldn't find the other two books in the libraries or in bookstores so I had to convince a girl who wanted to date me to buy them for me with her credit card online, since i didn't have one of my own at the time (no, I did not end up dating her in order to get the books, though).   Wink

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Inktrap
Ritlua

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 12:51:20 pm »

The TV Tropes entry on it  Grin I always use this site to pick up new books or tv shows, and it's entry on Warchild caught my attention. The plot of the first book looked like something I would enjoy, and further reviews of it as a character driven novel made me excited to acquire it. I ended up picking Burndive and Cagebird too, and it was a great deal!
ErretsGirl
Striviirc-na
Ritlua

wicked witch of old europe

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 05:10:32 pm »

usually what hooks me on a book is the blurb.
well, the cover too when in a bookstore....
but I haven't been able to get my sf book fix anywhere but online for the past six years.
the foreign publication bookstores in town are way too expensive.
Inktrap
Ritlua

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 07:00:59 pm »

Online stores really save us readers. The favorable comments in amazon certainly contributed for me to pick up the books, too!
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 09:31:31 am »

Libraries! I would be dead without libraries... my little sci-fi (and book) loving mind would shrivel up and die without them. I don't have enough money to buy everything that I want to read. I just end up buying the things I really really love online (or the things that I haven't read but are from authors that I really, really love).  Grin

I don't imagine that there are many English science-fiction sections in libraries around the world, though, for those of you out internationally, so I guess I would depend on the internet, then. Actually, I have an Anthropology professor who is from Rio, in Brazil, and she said that one of the things she loves about the states is the huge libraries. She said she didn't have any at all in her neighborhood when she was a kid. But then, she was growing up in one of the poorer neighborhoods, so I don't know how well that stands up for other places, either.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Inktrap
Ritlua

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 10:24:26 am »

Ritla, this is amazing! I'm from Rio too, and I feel the same. It doesn't matter where you live, I suppose. There are libraries here, but more for research and work - not fiction and fun. I only had one in my school, but it was very lacking. Bookstores always were my libraries! There's a distinct lack of variety, too, since the brazilian authors don't get any incentive and the translation is a long, difficult business - and they end picking up only the profitable series. Your teacher is very lucky, it does seem amazing to live over there. I have two aunts in the states, and I love when I get to visit them. I always come back packed with pocketbooks!
Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 11:05:49 am »

Ah, libraries. I don't know what I would do without them. It was the library that made me interested in science fiction and it was the library that led me to pick up Warchild. I've spent most of my summers as a teen in a library or bookstore. In fact, I used to go to the there every other day. I have trouble imagining what life would be like without a good library, and finding out that the ones in Rio are not so rich with literature stirs my crusading spirit.

Khantael
Ritlua

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 07:18:59 pm »

It came up for a book club online thing I was in at the time.

It didn't win the vote, but as I was looking through the choices I kind of went, "Yeah, these others aren't my thing, but this looks really good." And Amazon had a 'search inside this book' feature, so I did and I really liked the way it was written, so I bought it... and then I bought the sequels as I loved it so much, even though I was a bit gutted at first that there was going to be a point of view switch (though I think it was well done).
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 08:39:40 am »

Yeah, I was very sad when I discovered it that Burndive was in Ryan's point of view rather than Jos's. Particularly since I didn't like Ryan through the better part of the first half of the book. He grew on my thereafter though.  Cheesy

Andtheodyssey
Po'trii
Ka'redan

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 09:53:42 am »

Same here. At first, Ryan really got under my skin, but I gradually changed my mind by the end of the book. Now he is one of my favorite characters. Smiley
Ritla
Deity
Ka'redan

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 12:57:38 pm »

I am... fond... of Ryan. I can't go too much farther than that, though.

Melangell
Ritlua

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 08:43:25 am »

Recommendation. 97% of what I read is based on recommendation, and 93% of what I get recommended is fabulous (thus reinforcing this method of choosing books). Works because I have a few friends who have similar taste and fit into different areas of my reading spectrum - one friend who recommends sci-fi, one who recommends literature, etc. Freshman year of college was pretty lonely and I was in desperate need of a good book - Remembered a friend mentioning Warchild once. Went to a used bookstore and of the various titles I was looking for, it was the only one there. I thank my lucky stars OFTEN that that sequence of events played out like that and I made such an aMAZing find!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: